Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X3000 & CT-X5000 Unboxing video

On 6/8/2018 at 1:50 PM, AlenK said:

Fingers don't have any muscles? Of course they do. And trust me, they can be strengthened. Weighted keys a myth? We must agree to disagree on that one. 

Certainly, unweighted so-called "synth action" keys (Why aren't they called "organ action" since that is where they originated?) are valid for playing music. I like synth actions. They are well suited for playing fast monophonic leads (the kind that are sadly out of fashion today). And you can even learn to play music written for acoustic piano on them. But if a piano student learns exclusively on that and then is asked to play or has the opportunity to play an acoustic piano (or even a good weighted-action digital piano) then they will probably falter. 

Here's what I've found out this year (I'm still listening).  No, fingers actually DO NOT have muscles, they are moved by tendons connected to muscles in the forearm and some in the palm.  This may be why finger agility is so connected with relaxation of the forearm.  

There are several mutually exclusive serious threads of proper piano technique.  Two apparently quite excellent performers and teachers are even teaching their beginning students not to use fingers to play, but to play by transferring arm weight to the keys from the very start.  My belief is that this is the correct way to play, but only after a few years of first developing decent independent and agile finger motion.  Other teachers believe everything should be done by finger motion and pressure.  Some approaches say flat fingers, I believe in an arch, low wrist and finger tips in most cases, but not all articulations.  

There was an excellent recent observation on real piano action, that the effect was mainly to disrupt the players timing.  Absolutely, there is a difference.  But my feeling is that it is a small one, with little if any affect on proper technique or muscles.  Just a minor difference to get accustomed to.  

The really important thing is to achieve nuance of articulation and expression, and keyboards are now just shy of doing this as well as good pianos.  That's why I have an open mind to see what's going to develop.  I'm already convinced that a Casio keyboard is a unique and better instrument for teaching the first few years of musicality, theory, and creativity, while allowing for as much technique as most students need or can tolerate.  

There are certainly going to be different points of view, just like the variety of threads in what makes for proper technique on accoustic pianos.  

Personally, I've started finding weighted and accoustic keyboards a little cumbersome now that I've been playing mostly keyboard.  Maybe that's just me.  Who knows at this point.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 6:08 AM, Casiokid said:

I quite agree Ken the classical/traditional music world is being left behind.  It first started with the invention of Midi, classical/traditional musicians these days 'can't afford to bury their heads in the sand' without  embracing today's technology

Actually though, I'm an unusually strong traditionalist.  We only have to look to Japan and China, where our Western traditions are intensively studied, appreciated, and incorporated into continuing creativity.  They are the world's finest composers and performers.  I think Casio demo tracks could be the best, most creative music being written in the whole world these days.  To me, this is traditional forward movement, like Baroque developing eventually to Romantic.  I hear a strong traditional theoretical connection, but it's completely incorporating new technology.

Whereas a lot of music these days that has abandoned tradition, I find terribly irritating.  

8 hours ago, Ken Madell said:

Here's what I've found out this year (I'm still listening).  No, fingers actually DO NOT have muscles, they are moved by tendons connected to muscles in the forearm and some in the palm.  This may be why finger agility is so connected with relaxation of the forearm.  

There are several mutually exclusive serious threads of proper piano technique.  Two apparently quite excellent performers and teachers are even teaching their beginning students not to use fingers to play, but to play by transferring arm weight to the keys from the very start.  My belief is that this is the correct way to play, but only after a few years of first developing decent independent and agile finger motion.  Other teachers believe everything should be done by finger motion and pressure.  Some approaches say flat fingers, I believe in an arch, low wrist and finger tips in most cases, but not all articulations.  

Okay, now you are getting pedantic. It doesn't matter if the muscles controlling the fingers are not actually in the fingers. They still control the fingers. And if you watch ANY keyboard player, even the best piano masters, you can see that those muscles get some exercise. I am done with this conversation. You believe what you believe. 

On 6/1/2018 at 7:44 PM, Mike Martin said:

They're really stellar. What has amazed me is how much you can customize things. I think I counted 92 speaker/amp combinations in the distortion effects. Unreal. 

Mike, hi

In your unboxing video  (around 03:50) it has been mentioned about the TONE EDITING for  FACTORY DEFAULT ELECTRICAL GUITAR SOUND USING DELAY AND DISTORTION:

I have a request from the Casio TEAM

Can the team elaborate more on technical issues such as TONE EDITING  (especially for improving acoustic guitar sounds) and advanced use of MIDI SEQUENCER (from basic rhytm to more complex arrangements) on incoming videos ? 

This can lead us towards "Casio CT-X  Academy" type of concept and I think this can be great to discover and demonstrate the full capabilities of the products together ?

best