Video Files on Forum ×

You Like Rainy Days?

Nice!  Mood setting and I like the clearing at the end...  I'm curious about how other folks approach composing...  It seems that the piece is mainly improvisation, though I hear a couple of themes.

I'm asking because when I'm writing something, it doesn't happen all at once, but it's rather a process to find themes I like and to develop them. What I mean is that I "improvise" when I'm searching for a theme or a few bars I enjoy, but constructing the entire piece is (for me) a deliberate and hard process.  I know that jazz artists improvise a lot, but perhaps I'm not there yet.

Also, do you think of the video BEFORE or AFTER you write the piece?  I also struggle with that usually AFTER the piece is ready, but in this case I think you're trying to set a mood, so you probably thought of the rain, etc. as you wrote this.

Thanks for the comment Sergio! I guess you haven't read the "about" section of my YouTube channel or some stuff I've written here on the CMF. My situation is a little unique I suppose. I had 3 keyboards from the late 80's to 2000 that I played just for fun and made recordings just for me. With the advent of the internet and YouTube I found a place to share my goofy tunes. I recently converted the old tapes to digital media and thought "hmm, some of this ain't too bad" so I'm sharing it. Most is too silly and lame for me to want anybody to hear though.

I don't have one iota of music knowledge or training, I simply smacked my 'boards, kept notes of interesting bits, and tried to develop them. I had a lot of fun playing then and now I'm having some fun making these videos.

The only advice I have for people currently playing is: PLAY ON! Play, play, play. Practice, practice, practice. I suppose music education would do some good, if you have the kind of brain that can absorb all those complexities. I ain't got one o' those!

Thanks again for the comment, and...PLAY ON SERGIOOOOO!!!!🎹🎹🎹🎹

Parallel experiences, I guess...  I went through a similar, but far less ambitious than yours, and I spread myself thin with other things, like painting and trying to learn classical guitar.  That plus work wore me out.

I picked up the PX780 long before I discovered YouTube and this forum, just to "resurrect" all the songs I wrote so many years ago.  I completed that task more than once, and then I found an outlet for sharing what I enjoy so much creating. 

Have you picked up your hobby again?  Whatever motivates anyone to create and fulfill their lives is great with me.  I support your advice, and I would urge you to try again; you never know.

It's odd, Sergio, when I was younger I couldn't see ANY instrument without gettin' all fidgety, "oo! I gotta touch that!, gotta play it!" I also had a couple of guitars. I made tape recordings of those too. Uh hum. I'm thinking of offering them to the CIA to use as torture devices, "c'mon on man! You wanna hear another one?! Aarghh! No!!!".

I played drums too. Well, a drum. We were poor so my mom bought me one tom-tom at a garage sale, much to our neighbors delight.

I just don't have the feeling to play anymore, for whatever reason. So keep playing Sergio, before the urge subsides!

• Thanks 1