Video Files on Forum ×

Casio WK 3500

Gothic7cy

I attend open-mic sound stage. Just recently I placed 6 size D batteries and plug-in their quarter inch for sound. For some reason I could not go thru their sound stage, and have played a dozen times here. Now the ac adaptor will not allow for a quarter inch to go thru their sound stage.

I assume you have been using batteries instead of the AC adaptor, because of noise/hum on your WK-3500's output.  I find this strange, because if you are using the WK-3500's original standard AC adapter, that was a transformer power supply, that are almost dead quiet, with very little of the noise and hum of these new switching power supplies, which tie one side of the AC line directly to the keyboard's internal circuits.  This makes me suspect a mismatch between your WK-3500's output and the venue's sound stage input, or at least a bad connector or cable somewhere in the signal path.  Your WK-3500's 1/4 inch output is a 2 conductor unbalanced circuit.  If the venue's sound stage 1/4 inch input is a 3 conductor balanced circuit, which is pretty typical for most sound boards, then those two connections are totally incompatible, and I am surprised that they ever worked for you at all.  Inserting a 2 conductor plug into a 3 conductor jack shorts one side of the balanced circuit to ground and makes it an unbalanced circuit, which is extremely difficult for a balanced sound board to handle.  Ask the venue's sound support personnel if they need a balanced input to their sound stage. If they do, then you need to obtain and insert a "DI Box" into the line between your WK-3500 and the sound stage's input.

You said that you could not go through the venue's sound stage.  Do you mean there was no sound at all, or there was sound, but it was noisy with a lot of hum and/or low level ?  If there was no sound at all through the venue's sound stage, was there sound from the WK-3500's built-in speakers ?  If not, then check the WK-3500's MIDI setup to see if "LOCAL" is set to OFF.  If it is, then the WK-3500's internal sound circuits are muted.  Set "LOCAL" to ON.  If "LOCAL" is set to ON, but there is still no sound from the WK-3500's built-in speakers, then you probably have an internal circuit problem within the WK-3500.  Normally, for a mono connection to a venue's sound system, you use the LEFT/MONO LINE OUT jack, but if there is no sound there, try the RIGHT LINE OUT jack.  If there is sound there, but not on the LEFT, then it is most likely a defective LEFT LINE OUT jack.

Good luck!