Video Files on Forum ×

About Sync And Syncing.

XW-Addict

Been looking for syncing availability on the PX5S for quiet a while now.

Oscillator sync, LFO sync you name it some sync of any at least.

Any trick would help to make a sync with lfo or osc for following another

osc , lfo  or Fx type on clock tempo etc.

So far I can only make an unspecified sync with the arpeggio from the pedal.

I've been looking with doing it with applying external clock from midi to a specific

channel. And or NRPN, RPN would provide some means.

As the last one is the only option left because the PX5S has a sequencer in form of

an arpeggio and phrase. Especially with the arpeggio as it has the control to apply on, If 

there is somewhere on the midi sheet at all to internally, externally control lfo part that 

would be the thing to do if it works. Momentary I'm looking into it not knowing if it will

be the time of effort spend on it. 

I've did seen pitch_lock which is not so understood how that works and why to apply it,

Would guess it's some sort of syncing to match two layers please tell.

Anyway this is as much finding out about this subject I've done in the hope if any have

other way's internally or externally to do some syncing. 

As you have noticed, your options to synchronize changes in one synthesis parameter to changes in another in the PX-5S are very limited. (The PX-560 is the same in that regard - don't know about the MZ-X500.) The LFOs can't even sync to tempo like the solo-synth LFOs can on the XW-P1. You may know if you read a certain document that there are even more ways to sync modulations in the XW-P1's solo-synth. It's amazingly flexible. And, of course, the XW-P1 offers hard sync between two of the solo-synth oscillators. And the step sequencer has four control-only channels that will do tempo synced modulations of a boatload of parameters.

But that doesn't help you on the PX-5S. I think your best bet, at least for synchronizing modulations of synthesis parameters is to use the Phrase Sequencer. You can record knob and slider movements by which you can roll your own LFOs, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Overdubbing helps. I tried this on the XW-P1 and wrote it up in the document. On the PX-5S you can simultaneously play eight phrases using the Song Sequencer, presumably each affecting its own separate part; that capability may also be useful.

PS. All pitch locking does is make the pitch of one layer follow another. Sure, technically that is synchronization of the two oscillator waveforms, probably right down to their phases, but it's just a tuning thing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlenK said:

As you have noticed, your options to synchronize changes in one synthesis parameter to changes in another in the PX-5S are very limited. (The PX-560 is the same in that regard - don't know about the MZ-X500.) The LFOs can't even sync to tempo like the solo-synth LFOs can on the XW-P1. You may know if you read a certain document that there are even more ways to sync modulations in the XW-P1's solo-synth. It's amazingly flexible. And, of course, the XW-P1 offers hard sync between two of the solo-synth oscillators. And the step sequencer has four control-only channels that will do tempo synced modulations of a boatload of parameters.

But that doesn't help you on the PX-5S. I think your best bet, at least for synchronizing modulations of synthesis parameters is to use the Phrase Sequencer. You can record knob and slider movements by which you can roll your own LFOs, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Overdubbing helps. I tried this on the XW-P1 and wrote it up in the document. On the PX-5S you can simultaneously play eight phrases using the Song Sequencer, presumably each affecting its own separate part; that capability may also be useful.

PS. All pitch locking does is make the pitch of one layer follow another. Sure, technically that is synchronization of the two oscillator waveforms, probably right down to their phases, but it's just a tuning thing. 

Rolling the LFO's might do the trick actually using the arpeggio sequencer if the control handle's lfo params. Going to be tricky as long if there a capability to move parameters will come close enough nice call. 

On 8/17/2018 at 2:49 PM, AlenK said:

On the PX-5S you can specify pitch bend or any CC from 00 to 97 for the arpeggiator's control track. Strangely, for the MZ-X500 Casio took a step back and allow only panning or filter cutoff. Why they did that, I don't know. 

That is quiet odd for the MZ-X500 I would have guest it be part of the hex-layers but on the other side the MZ-X500 doesn't have some of the synth controls the PX5S has.  

Well I also did discover the DSP for applying syncing to the layers or sounds option particular one DSP that can do it and needles to say it is one of the most versatile DSP option on any keyboard or software synth out there.

And the PX5S has it, Its Delay the PX5S delay can sync and with the control of the arpeggio which I'm still looking into I think this can work and if it does, Delay can do so much its practically a golden feature here.  

So I think to have found what I'm looking for Arpeggio with control track , Delay with syncing , DSP with LFO control and Ring modulator for OSC frequency.  

To bad Distortion is the only DSP that can do routing or else it would go platinum, routing from layers to layers or other DSP.

But I believe Pitch-lock could solve synchronizing two hex-layers in a crazy manner somewhat or if it were between two zones

between layers I have to find out how to pitch two hexlayers against each other.

Here a bit of example using Delay with sync with arpeggio I've not used the control track yet but already discovered what to apply 

to it with help of the Midi Implementation Chart. 

Thanks for the insight AlenK.