Video Files on Forum ×

How do I send sysex messages to Midi Solutions Pedal Controller?

SeptemberMusic

Hi!

I have recently gotten myself a Px5s (yey!). Awesome sounds, awesome feel, awesome tweakability. 

I'm a noob when it comes to sysex and deep midi programming so I probably don't even use the right terms but:

The Midi solutions pedal is configured by sending sysex messages to it, for example I can choose on which midi channels it transmits expression. So I'm wondering if there is a way to send these sysex commands/strings/messages from my Px5s to the Midi Solutions pedal when I change stage setting? Is it possible by using phrases? Or can Zones transmit these messages automatically when changing stage settings?

Thank you in advance! 

• 1 month later...

SeptemberMusic,

I'll build a little bit off of what AlenK posted.

Sysex messages are often instrument specific.  That means there can be specific messages for the PX-5s and specific messages for the Midi solutions pedal.  There are also universal real time sysex messages that all machines should understand.  The PX-5S will transfer these when you do things like adust the midi settings.  For example, if I go into the sys settings > Sound Generator > Master Volume on the PX and adjust the master volume to 126, the following sysex message is transmitted on the spot:

F0 7F 7F 04 01 00 7E F7

You are limited to only a few universal sysex messages.  Volume, Course Tune, Fine Tune, Reverb, Chorus, and modulation.

Though you won't be able to generate a custom sysex message specifically for the Midi solutions pedal directly from the PX-5s, you might be able to preprogram the messages in a midifile and save it as a "song" so-to speak .   You can save this song on a usb device and then paly that song on the px-5s.  I've done this to change settings directly on the px-5s (like having a customized mix of the midi channels) and have transmitted things like channel changes and volume changes to other devices.  In theory, it is possible to do with sysex messages.

And since phrases are recordings of midi data, in theory you could write the sysex messages, save them in a midi file and then convert the midi file to a phrase using the data editor.

I'd be curious if the messages would get transmitted out or if they would just try to be run internally; but again, in theory, it could work.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think so, but looking at the PX-5s midi guide, it looks like it is not a universal control but PX-5s specific.

If you are using windows and have a program like Midi-Ox, you can go into settings on the PX and turn on and off the local control.  When you do that, the sysex message will be transmitted to midi-ox. 

If you have a midi editor, you can enter the sysex code and save it as a midi file.  If you can load the midi file into another device or a computer, you can then play the midi file and have it transmit that code to the PX-5s.  If you can program your midi device to trigger external sysex messages and can program them into the device, then there would be no need to load and play a midi file with the info.