Video Files on Forum ×

From The Sun To The World

m10538

Nice sounds, very relaxing!  The missing element (my opinion only) is a melody line...  To me, a melody line is very important, but of course it depends on what the purpose of the piece is.  Sometimes mood music is OK for background, but I like to "listen" to the music, and melody is what makes me feel "complete"... 

Thanks Sergio! You gotta let yourself go man, relax, you're listening too hard!

Have you ever seen the movie Koyaanisqatsi? It was on PBS in the '80s, featuring the music of Philip Glass. Just long flowing ethereal music like his is what I was attempting.

I doubt if any of my stuff will make you feel complete! Ha! Confused, maybe!😀

OK.  Here's the thing...  I'm NOT a musician, so you should take my opinion with a grain of salt.  Nevertheless, I'm a VERY opinionated person, and I hold views close to my heart.

Perhaps because of the music that surrounded me from birth is so melodic that it had a powerful impact on what I like and what I don't. Glass is certainly NOT among my preferred composers...  In classical music I love the Romantics (Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Grieg, Debussy, etc), although I prefer popular music.  Listening to music to me depends on my mood, and I'm not always in the mood to listen to classical music, and it does require close listening, at least for me.

But I like melody, because it's what conveys emotion and what influences your reaction to the piece.  Sounds can be great, and a lot of the so-called "New Age" music is that way, but I much prefer a solid melody line.  And I struggle with it, because I like to compose, and it's not easy to come up with a nice melody that doesn't jar your ears.  It's NOT easy!

I looked up the movie you mentioned;  I never heard of it, but it being Glass would not excite me.

But you and others on this forum are far ahead of me in how you use the equipment creatively and I just don't know enough...

Confused?  Probably.... It's a very disconcerting universe, if you ask me...  😀

BTW, I decided against re-recording my other two "boleros" with lyrics, because I like "Las Tardes Rojas" the best and the other two would be anticlimactic, so I'll leave them alone as I recorded them a while ago.  In the meantime, I'm working on another song, but like I said, it's not easy....

I agree. Take the melody of Beethoven's second movement of Piano Sonata no.8. So simple, but meaningful. Even the famous melody line of the Ode To Joy is really simple, I remember playing that. But just try to create a new one...

I refer to my stuff as having a riff or theme or motif. The word melody seems to imply something nice, with some feeling to it. Not easy for sure. I once tried to come up with a melody and lyrics for a song about walking down a country road...wah ha! The results were hilarious!😂

1 hour ago, m10538 said:

I agree. Take the melody of Beethoven's second movement of Piano Sonata no.8. So simple, but meaningful. Even the famous melody line of the Ode To Joy is really simple, I remember playing that. But just try to create a new one...

I refer to my stuff as having a riff or theme or motif. The word melody seems to imply something nice, with some feeling to it. Not easy for sure. I once tried to come up with a melody and lyrics for a song about walking down a country road...wah ha! The results were hilarious!😂

Indeed...  "Patetique" is my favorite Beethoven sonata, and it's an awesome piece of music.

A theme or motif that you mention is the seed of a melodic line, but it has to be developed...  How a composer introduces a theme (in so-called "classical music"), plays with it, develops it, and eventually even ends it in a musical climax, is what makes the piece interesting.  Rachmaninoff's Second Concerto (my favorite piece of music) is extraordinary.

I guess I don't worry about my results being hilarious or not, which is probably what comes with old age.  When I was young I wanted to do EVERYTHING, and ended up chasing too many rainbows and stuck with my day job. Looking back, considering all the possible futures, I consider myself very lucky that I stuck with the day job, retired, and now I can dedicate myself to my music without caring about anything else.  It's liberating!  But never sell yourself short....

• Like 1