Video Files on Forum ×

On The Street Where You Live

I've been working on this song for a while and it was hard with all the other things going on (like carpal tunnel syndrome)...  It's a beautiful melody, and I found it difficult to come up with something I would enjoy listening to.  There's a couple of errors in it, but I'm tired and want to move on...  I think I learned a lot arranging it...

• Like 1

Thanks, m10538.  More than missed notes, I don’t think I have the right chord changes around 2:03, and the ending is very weak.  And then there’s the Law of Diminishing Returns…  I arrange these standard songs because I like listening to them, but also as learning exercises, since I’m kind of teaching myself.  I learned a lot from this song, complicated to me with all the chord changes, etc., and I had a hard time getting it together.

I had been working on this on and off for the last couple of weeks, and when I was finally able to play the song such that I could actually “enjoy” listening to it later, that’s it!  I really want to compose again, so I’d like to explore that more.  I think I’ve learned a lot from leaving the rhythm accompaniment behind for a few weeks.  Thanks again!

Thanks, sslyutov!

I realize that I come across as a "perfectionist", and I am, but in this case it's serving a different cause...  I don't have a teacher nagging me telling me what to do and how to improve my playing, so I nag myself.  Don't take me wrong, I enjoy it, and I'm NOT a masochist...  It's my way of learning, and I do learn only by pushing myself beyond what I can already do.

What I really enjoy is writing songs...  I did many years ago, and my Casio has motivated me to continue my hobby.  I still need to have enough piano chops to be able to express my music, but I don't pretend to be a pianist.  I've enjoyed arranging these songs a lot because they are a way for me to learn.  Finding the chords, that's one thing, which is easy sometimes and often not.  And looking for a cheat music doesn't help me often because I don't recognize the fancy chords by their names...  Anyway, it's a PLEASANT exercise, however painful it is, if you know what I mean...  😀

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the folks here are more interested in the technical side of things, and I'm too old to learn too many tricks!  😟

• Like 1