Video Files on Forum ×

Ticket to the Moon - ELO

This one is from my favorite band ever (Electric Light Orchestra) on the 1981 album Time.  Always liked the similarity to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.  This was a very challenging piece with a complex piano arpeggio backing track.  I did not use the PX560's arpeggiator but did it "old school".  (5) MIDI tracks consisting of:

1. Piano Ballad2 rhythm on system track
  2. Grand Concert Piano
  3. Digital EP5
  4. Stereo Strings
  5. Finger Bass1

Happy New Year 2019!

Ticket to the Moon.mp3

Wellazee, well, well...a fellow Bulbhead! Greetings brother! Shine on! If we were together in person we could do the secret handshake!

Ain't nobody a bigger ELO fan than me! Well, by ELO I mean ELO '72 to '79. Starting with Discovery I was like "wah?" Went downhill with that album for me. And Time from '81...meh. Pretty thin. I guess you'd call me a "classic ELO" fan.

I had ELO posters everywhere and I won a giant 5 by 5 foot promotional Out Of The Blue album cover thing from the local record store. Had a little trouble finding a place for that! I wrote Bev Bevan on my drumstick (I got one tom-tom and one drum stick at a garage sale, we were po' folks).

That's a good cover of Ticket To the Moon, Tsquare. But I dare you...DARE YOU to cover the 10538 Overture!!!! Could you really sit there all night dubbing those cellos! It's gotta sound like 10,000 cellos, man!

Keep it turned on, brother Tsquare!

First, congratulations, Tsquare, and a Happy New Year!

I don't know what the heck I was listening to back in the 80s (probably buried in the corporate bureaucracy), but I've heard of ELO but it wasn't in my playlist...  I checked out the original and it's a beautiful song, so I realized that the melody line (voice in ELO) is missing here...  Is that on purpose?  Can't you add the melody voice in a different track?

Anyway, it's a great sound!  Sorry I can't make these pop culture references, but I must have been in another planet...  😲

12 minutes ago, sergio said:

First, congratulations, Tsquare, and a Happy New Year!

I don't know what the heck I was listening to back in the 80s (probably buried in the corporate bureaucracy), but I've heard of ELO but it wasn't in my playlist...  I checked out the original and it's a beautiful song, so I realized that the melody line (voice in ELO) is missing here...  Is that on purpose?  Can't you add the melody voice in a different track?

Anyway, it's a great sound!  Sorry I can't make these pop culture references, but I must have been in another planet...  😲

Here ya go Serg! Let it shine into yo' brain, and you ain't neva gon' be the same! My 2nd fave from album 1 (no. 1 being the 10538 Overture...duh!) You gon' freak at 2:20, man! And check out the Jimi Hendrix of violin Steve Woolam with the vio' solo:

59 minutes ago, Tsquare said:

The Electric piano sound is the melody portion.  I added this track over the backing arpeggio track.  Unfortunately, the PX560 doesn't have a Jeff Lynne singing tone and I did my best to replicate with EP.

Yes, I listened to it again and heard the melody.  I missed it the first time because I'm not familiar with the piece.  But I think it would sound better if somehow that track can be amped a bit to shine over the cadence...  Just a thought, because I know when I use the rhythms in my PX780 I can adjust (independently) the piano voice and the accompaniment volume.

16 minutes ago, sergio said:

Yes, I listened to it again and heard the melody.  I missed it the first time because I'm not familiar with the piece.  But I think it would sound better if somehow that track can be amped a bit to shine over the cadence...  Just a thought, because I know when I use the rhythms in my PX780 I can adjust (independently) the piano voice and the accompaniment volume.

I intentionally lowered the volume on the melody via the keyboard mixer.  I wanted the arpeggios to stand out since I worked so hard on them, Ha.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sergio said:

Freaky!  I thought I was out there when I listened to Iron Butterfly....  It's OK and I recognize some hidden melody line.  I have to look up the 10538 Overture.

Here's the link Serg:

That's the most "normal" track on the first album. The rest is what you'd call baroque 'n roll. Definitely not for everyone!

1 hour ago, Tsquare said:

I intentionally lowered the volume on the melody via the keyboard mixer.  I wanted the arpeggios to stand out since I worked so hard on them, Ha.

And it was very well executed...  I'm just partial to melody, and it's a very nice melody.  👍

5 minutes ago, sergio said:

m10538, I heard a little Beatles in some parts...  OK, but mind blowing?  No, for me.  Try Rachmaninoff's Second Concerto and THAT blows my mind!

Jeff Lynne made some good melody tunes Serg. When you have time check out Can't Get It Out Of My Head and One Summer Dream. I just know you'll love the Summer Dream!

11 hours ago, m10538 said:

Jeff Lynne made some good melody tunes Serg. When you have time check out Can't Get It Out Of My Head and One Summer Dream. I just know you'll love the Summer Dream!

Not bad...  Never heard of Lynne....  I'm trying to remember what I listened to back in the 80s and even earlier, but I was not into a lot of stuff that was popular, like I never got into disco.

Anyway, I'll post a couple of sounds that I followed back then.