Video Files on Forum ×

Faulty Sostenuto Pedal SP-33, or Faulty PX-160?

Suhndog

When I play a chord [or notes] and hold the keys down, and then press and hold the Sostenuto pedal, notes that were initially pressed do sustain, BUT if I keep the pedal pressed, and play up or down the keyboard, some notes sustain and others do not while still pressing the pedal.

Is this normal?  I would think NO subsequent notes should sustain after the initial pressing of the pedal.  Or - am I not understanding how the Sostenuto [middle] pedal works?

-- Or:  Is my PX-160 defective?

Edited by Suhndog
Incorrect title description

On a real acoustic piano, this pedal only holds up the dampers of notes that are already raised when the pedal is pressed. Those dampers will remain up until you release the pedal. If you play a C major chord, push the pedal while you are holding the chord, those three notes will sustain until you release the pedal. After the notes fade, if you strike any of those three notes  again while continuing to hold the pedal, they will sustain "again." No other notes will. 

There is one caveat to this. If the PX-160 has a certain kind of resonance (it has one but I'm not sure if it's this one), striking some other notes will make those notes sympathetically resonate. That means the notes will sound but not as strongly as if the note itself was struck. Again, the PX-160 might not have this particular feature.

There's more detail about the sostenuto pedal here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_pedals#Sostenuto_pedal

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Suhndog said:

--Also, if I play notes and then press the Sosteunto pedal, nothing sustains. I only get sustain if I first press and HOLD keys down, and then press and hold the Sostenuto pedal.

As such, I think either the pedal unit and/or the PX-160 is faulty. Yes?

This is exactly what it supposes to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...