Video Files on Forum ×

Lessons without accompaniment

Brad

We got this keyboard largely for the lighted key learning system, which is really pretty neat. But the orchestral accompaniment that automatically plays with the lesson songs is driving me crazy. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star sounds pretty ridiculous with a philharmonic orchestra in the background, and it's very distracting. And I much prefer the sound of a single instrument.

Is there any way to make the lesson function just light up keys and not play any sounds except the keys I/my kids push? Or are there new or replacement files that can be loaded? I'm willing to do some work, but I'm not experienced with midi.

Any guidance much appreciated!

Sorry to say, but the "orchestral accompaniment" you describe is an integral part of the LK series built-in songs, and can not be turned off.  I am not aware of any commercially or user generated MIDI files made specifically for the Casio LK series boards, but the internet abounds with both commercial and free Standard MIDI Files (SMF) that can be easily modified with DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) or "sequencer" software to remove unwanted parts (instruments) and to put the remaining note data onto the correct MIDI tracks/channels to properly light the keys on Casio LK keyboards.  Here is a link to a recent discussion on this process:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/16425-some-notes-“stick”/&do=findComment&comment=51107

You can download a free copy of Anvil Studio  DAW/Sequencer software from: http://anvilstudio.com/

You will find instructions for assigning the LK-280's "Navigate Channels" beginning in the right hand column of Page E-60 in the LK-280's User's Guide.  The LK-280 defaults to "Navigate Channels" 3 (left hand notes) and 4 (right hand notes), if you do not want to re-assign them.  In that case, you would need to use the DAW/sequencer software to move note data to those tracks/channels in any MIDI file before playing it on the LK-280, if you want the keys to light properly.

Good luck !

- T -

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I just receive a LK-S450 keyboard and also that accompaniment is driving me crazy. It's incredible that CASIO did not think of a way to disable it.

I also noticed that this is not present in LK-S250, they added it only in LK-S450... now I need to decide if I send back the keyboard and downgrade it.