Video Files on Forum ×

How to edit the sustain pedal effect on a user rythem I recorded

Hello everyone, I have a ctk 6250 keyboard, I recently recorded a user rythem on my keyboard and when I transfared the smf (.mid) file of the recording to my pc during sd card I can hear noisy sustain pedal effect (that is different from what I hear when I'm playing on the keyboard itself) so I'm guessing that it is caused by pressing the sustain pedal all the way through playing.

My question is:

1. Is there a way to edit the sustain pedal effect on a user rythem clip I recorded after recording it imidietly on the keyboard?

2. Is there a way to edit the sustain pedal effect on a user rythem clip I recorded after transfaring it to the pc (using a casio software or something)?

1. See "To start an event editor operation" in the right hand column on Page E-80 of the manual.  The sustain pedal generates a Control Change number 64 signal in the MIDI file.  This will show up in the Event Editor's Event List as CC64. You will need to step through the entire song and delete each occurrence of CC64 that you find.

2. Any computer based DAW/sequencer software program should contain its own Event Editor feature for performing the same as above off the keyboard, but most allow blanker or "batch" operations, whereby you can delete all occurrences of a particular event in one pass.

If you do not have DAW/sequencer software, I recommend Anvil Studio, because it has a fairly short learning curve, treats MIDI features in a straight forward manner, without burying them beneath a ton of audio menus, and is available as a free download from:

http://anvilstudio.com/

Now, aside from the above, the sustain pedal should not generate noise into your recording.  If by noise, you mean sustain causes a "muddying" of the auto-accompaniment parts by sustaining them, again, the sustain pedal should have no effect on anything played left of the Split Point.  I suspect that you have something else going on, but am at a loss at the moment to state what that might be - unless you are just holding the sustain pedal down too long (possibly what you meant by "pressing the sustain pedal all the way through playing") and are consequently getting dissonant combinations of tones - what is commonly referred to as cacaphony.

- T -

• Like 1