Video Files on Forum ×

Midi trouble on LK-200s

rammsteinfan

Hello. I’m new to playing the keyboard and have been given a LK-200s. I would like to play a song but am having trouble with the Midi file. I formatted the SD and I got the song I wanted to play on the keyboard. The problem is it plays automatically and won’t let me do lessons with lighted keys. I went into a program and tried changing channels and also on the keyboard but didn’t have any luck. The song I’m wanting to play is this one. Can anyone help me with what I can do to get the file to play or possibly send me one that will work? https://musescore.com/user/28183815/scores/5507280

• 2 weeks later...

Very, very few Standard MIDI Files (SMF) from non-Casio sources will have the RIGHT hand and LEFT hand MIDI note data on the correct MIDI channels to properly light the keys on Casio LK model keyboards.  See Page E-36 of the manual.  Casio uses what it calls the NAVIGATE channel to identify the MIDI channel that contains the RIGHT hand note data, with the next lower numbered channel containing the LEFT hand note data.  On the LK-200S, the NAVIGATE channel can be assigned to any channel 2-16, but defaults to Channel 4.  If the note data on an SMF does not match this, the keys will not light properly, if at all.  Also, many (most?) SMF's have BOTH the RIGHT and LEFT  hand note data on the SAME channel.  This complicates things a bit, but can be corrected with a little time, patience, and the correct software.  I strongly recommend leaving the NAVIGATE channel  at its default location of Channel 4, and using computer software to correct the SMF to match the keyboard.  No amount of NAVIGATE channel re-assignment, on the keyboard, will make up for RIGHT/LEFT note data on the SAME or REVERSED channels, either of which will normally be the case.  Use your computer software to cut and paste the SMF MIDI note data to the correct channels to match what the keyboard is looking for.  For RIGHT/LEFT note data on the SAME channel , cut and paste the combined note data to BOTH Channels 3 and 4.  On Channel 3, use the software's Track Editor to bulk delete all notes Middle-C and above.  This is now your LEFT hand note track/channel.  On Channel 4, use the Track Editor to bulk delete all notes below Middle-C.  This is now your RIGHT hand note track/channel and should allow for proper key lighting on most simple songs that would be used for learning purposes.  For the occasional song that has LEFT hand notes the come above Middle-C or RIGHT hand notes that go below Middle-C, just move your "delete" points up or down a few notes, and/or use the software's "Piano Roll" Editor to correct the odd errant note.

As for getting SMF data to work with the LK "Lessons" features, I am afraid that proper (?) "key lighting"  is about it.  SMF data will not work with the "HANDS" in the keyboard's display panel to indicate which "FINGER" should be playing the current note.  That feature requires special "progrmming" from the built-in songs, and only works with them.  Other "Lessons" features appear to work erratically with SMF's on some Casio models, and not at all with them on other Casio models.  In particular is the "WAIT" feature, which causes the keyboard to "WAIT" for you to play the correct note, before it proceeds to the next.

Good luck!

- T -