Video Files on Forum ×

Casio B Meowsic (XW-G1 song with cat and dog samples) - Metapop/ Cats on Synthesizers in Space competition

Chas

I entered a competition by Metapop in conjunction with Cats on Synthesizers in Space, that required a "Cat themed" composition with a cat sound(s) used predominantly through the song. You can hear my song at the link below! Most of the sounds and main voice cat samples are from my Casio XW-G1. The song was originally composed on the G1 using its step sequencer and arpeggiator features, and then transferred into my DAW where I then arranged and edited the song.

https://metapop.com/clark-denham/tracks/casio-b-meowsic-cat-aclysm-mix/97980

EQUIPMENT:

B. Meowsic Cat Keyboard (modified with a line out)

Casio XW-G1 synth/ sampler/ step sequencer

DAW: Acoustica Mixcraft Pro 8

Audacity was used to trim, edit, normalise and stretch samples. Paulstretch effect used within Audacity for stretching samples.

Main melody “Meow” voice: To keep a cat theme going, I chose to use a B. Meowsic toy cat keyboard for the main melody “meow” sound. This was sampled into the XW-G1, and played live by hand, I mean paw, to give a more human, er, I mean feline feel!

Ethereal “Space Kitten” pad sound: Same B. Meowsic “Meow” sample as used for the main voice. This was imported into Audacity, stretched with Paulstretch, then transferred into the XW-G1 and played by paw.

Bass line: Generated by the Casio XW-G1 arpeggiator, with the pattern data then exported via MIDI and recorded in the DAW. DAW then played the MIDI bass line back into the XW-G1, and the XW patch (P051 – “Synth Bass 1”) audio was recorded.

Drums: Casio XW-G1, factory kit (P406 “Synth Set 1”). Original beat programmed on the XW’s step sequencer, then transferred, built upon and edited within the DAW. This was then fed back into the XW via MIDI and the XW’s “Synth Set 1” drum audio was recorded.

Samples: Manually placed within the DAW to give an interplay between cats and dogs.

• Like 1