Video Files on Forum ×

The Bb issue

bob green

Hello all. I bought my first Px5s not long after they were introduced. LOVE this board, so much so so that I purchased a second one lightly used from a friend. Not very long after purchase of my first one it developed the issue with Bb6, where if I hold the  key down a bit, when released it triggers a second note, at full velocity. I've read where apparently several people on this forum have had the same issue with the same note. I didn't worry about it much because I only use the board occaisionally. I have it set up with splits and layers to accomodate one specific band I play with, and the issue doesn't present itself very often, especially if I'm careful how I play the note. I use the other Px for all my other gigs, especially piano-centric situations, and have it loaded with many of the downloads from this site. Now however, THIS Px is starting to exhibit the same behavior on the same note (Bb6). My question is, is there any consensus on why this occurs, and is there also any consensus on the best way to remedy the situation? IOW, fix it in a way that it won't happen again, or at least not happen often enough to be prying the thing open all the time? As I said, I LOVE the board, but it's kind pf a PITA to be playing along on a jazz gig and have that one note popping out all the time......

In my opinion, the only permanent fix would be to clean out all the factory grease and replace it with something that isn't prone to separate over time. I'm not sure that such a grease exists that isn't too thick, but if I were to try it I'd probably use a pure silicone grease like the "dielectric" grease sold at auto parts stores since I've never seen that separate even in high-temp applications.

Alternatively, a possible solution would be to simply clean out 95% of the existing grease in the PX and leave only what's actually necessary in the right places. In my PX there were gratuitous amounts of grease gobbed on from the factory, which I'm sure was a contributing factor to it sneaking into forbidden places when it separated.

Ivan

6 hours ago, Redwave said:

As I said in the other thread, I was able to work around the problem by setting maximum velocity to 126 in zones which include the faulty key.

Won't that effectively mute the offending key though, since it's registering as being struck at full velocity?

On 12/24/2019 at 6:21 PM, craZivn said:

Won't that effectively mute the offending key though, since it's registering as being struck at full velocity?

Because in this case the problem occurs when the key is released, this fix solves it (so far).....I tried it and have played 2 gigs now without having the issue rear its ugly head!

Oh, that makes sense! Brilliantly simple technique, could be a lifesaver if the key acts up during a gig! I've had the key incorrectly register on the down-stroke as full velocity so in that case it would mute the key, but for most songs it's probably better to mute one key and play around it than have a super-loud "DONK" happen every time the key is touched.

Ivan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, aj11 said:

Wouldn't this issue be covered by the warranty? Can't you just send it back to Casio to fix, if it's within two years of buying it? 

Yes it would be covered if it happened within the warranty period, however unless steps are taken to address the cause, it can happen again and again. I think strongly that the problem can be addressed at production, simply by applying the grease much more sparingly or switching to a different type of grease. There really is an unnecessarily gratuitous amount of it gobbed in there, I suppose it varies by whoever is on grease duty that day which is why the issue isn't universal.

The second issue with using warranty service (for myself at least) is that I use my PX almost every weekend so I can't afford to be without it for a long period. Honestly if I buy another (which is very possible since I've been very pleased with mine overall) I'd probably say "hang the warranty" and immediately open it up to remove the majority of the grease.

Ivan