Video Files on Forum ×

Changing channels for LK-280

Rafal123

Hello,

as far as I remember in order to copy midi file from computer to SD card so that learning mode can be used, midi file must be prepared in special way, i.e. one hand needs to be in the 2nd channel and the other in 3rd channel. In which computer program can I easily modify midi file so that it works with LK-280? I just want to change these channels in existing midi file.

Thank you!

What you are asking about is what Casio calls the Navigate Channel and contains the Right Hand MIDI note data, and by further definition, the adjacent lower channel contains the Left Hand MIDI note data.  The Navigate Channel can be user assigned to any MIDI Channel 02 through 16, with the adjacent lower channel being for the Left Hand note data, but it defaults to Channel 4, making Channel 3 the Left Hand note channel.  I strongly recommend using the default.  That way, you end up with an entire collection of MIDI files that you know for certain use Channel 4 as the Navigate Channel.  Otherwise, you can end up with an entire collection that you are never too sure what the Navigate channel is, and end up having to waste time experimenting.  The problem is that most MIDI files that are downloaded from the internet have note data on the wrong MIDI channels in order to properly light the keys or use the other "learning" features of the LK models.  Worse, most of them have the note data for BOTH hands on the SAME MIDI channel, but for most simple "learning" level songs, this can all be fairly easy to correct with DAW/sequencer software on a computer.  I can not speak for the Apple systems, as I have no experience with them, but for Windows I recommend Anvil Studio, because it is freeware and has a relatively easy learning curve.  For MIDI files with left and right hand note data on separate channels: with the sequencer software, cut and paste the right hand note data to Channel 4; cut and paste the left hand note data to Channel 3; save the file, and you are finished with this part.  For MIDI files with right and left hand note data on the SAME channel: cut and paste the combined note data to Channel 4; clone (copy and paste) Channel 4 to Channel 3; on Channel 3, bulk delete all notes Middle C and above; this is now your left hand note channel.  On channel 4, bulk delete all notes below Middle C; this is now your right hand note channel.  If there are occasional right hand notes that fall below Middle C or vice versa, use the sequencer's Piano Roll Editor to cut and paste these notes between channels.  If there are quite a few of these, you can start from scratch and try moving your split/delete point up or down a few notes, above or below Middle C, to see if that makes things simpler.  Certainly do not attempt this with piano concertos or heavy jazz works where the hands continually traverse back and forth across Middle C.  It will not be worth the effort.  Again, save the file, as you are finished with this part.

The LK-280 is blessed with a 32Gb SD Memory Card slot.  Its predecessor, the LK-270 was equipped with a 2Gb SD Card slot.  Copy your finished MIDI file into the MUSICDAT  folder on the SD Card, insert the Card into the keyboard, and enjoy.  B U T . . . . Your LK does not really NEED an SD Card slot for you to enjoy this.  If it has a USB port for connecting to a computer, you can use your sequencer or MIDI file player software to "play" your MIDI file from your computer's hard drive to the LK keyboard, and the keys will still light.  That is about all this procedure does, enable the key lighting.  Other features of the "learning" system, such as the "WAIT" feature, where the keyboard waits for you to play the correct note before proceeding. work very flakily for some MIDI files, and not at all for others, and the fingering icons in the keyboard's display, that show which finger should be playing the currently sounding note, only work with the built-in songs.