Video Files on Forum ×

Using Privia PX320 as an external midi instrument but cannot changevsounds

GNM

I am sending MIDI notes to the Privia from ProTools. The Privia only plays them with a piano sound. I can change the instrumental sounds on the Privia and play those sounds using its keyboard, but it still only plays the MIDI notes with a piano sound. Any ideas? Thanks

• 1 year later...

A little late, but in case you or anyone else may still be wondering about this... I haven't done this myself, but this is my understanding:

The sound(s) played from MIDI input do not correspond to what you have selected from the front panel and are playing from the keyboard. This is actually a "feature" in that you can be playing a 16-channel GM MIDI backing track, and still be playing along with your sound of choice from the keyboard itself.

To change the sound that is being used to play your MIDI data from Pro Tools, that MIDI data should include a Program Change command to select the sound you want it to play. If you don't, it will default to the first sound, which is piano. Selecting different front panel sounds, as you discoverd, will have no effect.

You should also download the MIDI Implementation guide for the PX-120 from the Casio web site.

• Like 1