Video Files on Forum ×

USB in to Mac for Garageband

J W

I am attempting to use a USB-type B cable to connect the 560 to a Mac for home use with GarageBand.  I cannot get the device to recognize the keyboard.  In searching Apple I found how to use the Test MIDI Setup button in the MIDI Studio toolbar. 
the process shows me that data is transmitting out but NOT in.  Any help is appreciated. 

1. To test a MIDI interface’s MIDI Out port, click the down arrow on the device icon in the configuration pane. This highlights the output port icon and sends a MIDI signal to your device.

If your device has status lights for data transmission, the light for the port you clicked should illuminate. If your device is properly connected for audio output and it’s set up to receive on the MIDI channel that Audio MIDI Setup is broadcasting on, the device also makes a sound.

2. To test a MIDI interface’s MIDI In port, play a note on a controller (such as a keyboard) that’s attached to your interface. The MIDI In port icon (up arrow) is highlighted as it receives the signal.

When I want to see if my Mac is receiving MIDI from any source, I fire up MIDI Monitor. It's free. https://www.snoize.com

I can't think of a reason why your PX-560 wouldn't be transmitting MIDI over USB. It's Class Compliant, so it should Just Work®. I would check to make sure it's on though. There's probably a setting somewhere that tells it to transmit or not transmit MIDI.

• Like 1