Video Files on Forum ×

DIY "Music from The Muppets" ROM Pack

I've heard of reading about a Casio EP-20 that there was an integrated ROM Pack data chip from an unreleased "RO-267: Music from The Muppets" ROM Pack of 4 songs. Perhaps I or someone have to make one so all I/you need is to get a Casio EP-20, desolder the OKI MS268V-57 ROM data chip from the EP-20 and put it into an available opened-up ROM Pack (I would go for replacing World Songs, make sure that ROM uses the OKI chip) by desoldering the chip from the board of the opened-up ROM pack then placing and soldering in the OKI chip into the board. And there you go, a homemade Muppets Music ROM pack for use on other Casio ROM Pack compatible (e.g. PT-380, SK-8) keyboards!

Well that nobody has done that previously, I just wrote it down so people would notice how to do this stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have done this!

ROM-Pack hack

In my 2nd EP-20 specimen I removed the music rom with an SMD hot air soldering station to transplant the 'World Songs' rom from a RO-551 and vice versa and though play the Muppets music on other keyboards. Only regard that the "World Songs" cartridge exists with 2 different IC shapes (square or rectangular). Important is to use a ROM-Pack with square 44 pin IC "OKI MS5268". I used a RO-551 with JASRAC label and rough flat back (Japanese version?, apparently came with my PT-80). Other RO-551 (no JASRAC, shiny back with 3 holes) contain a rectangular 22 pin IC "Matsushita MN6404xxxx" that won't fit.

Theoretically to the EP-20 also a ROM-Pack slot can be added, but this would be mechanically very difficult and not worth the effort. Another special ROM-pack is inside SK-5 (SK-8 hardware), but it likely needs a non-standard sound set that does not correspond to SK-8 or others.

On 5/7/2020 at 9:41 PM, CYBERYOGI =CO=Windler said:

I have done this!

ROM-Pack hack

In my 2nd EP-20 specimen I removed the music rom with an SMD hot air soldering station to transplant the 'World Songs' rom from a RO-551 and vice versa and though play the Muppets music on other keyboards. Only regard that the "World Songs" cartridge exists with 2 different IC shapes (square or rectangular). Important is to use a ROM-Pack with square 44 pin IC "OKI MS5268". I used a RO-551 with JASRAC label and rough flat back (Japanese version?, apparently came with my PT-80). Other RO-551 (no JASRAC, shiny back with 3 holes) contain a rectangular 22 pin IC "Matsushita MN6404xxxx" that won't fit.

Theoretically to the EP-20 also a ROM-Pack slot can be added, but this would be mechanically very difficult and not worth the effort. Another special ROM-pack is inside SK-5 (SK-8 hardware), but it likely needs a non-standard sound set that does not correspond to SK-8 or others.

Hey sound really interesting, like the way how you did that! And what about doing recording of all 4 of the Muppet songs being played on every of your ROM-Pack compatible Casio keyboard collection (e.g. SK-8, PT-88, CT-840, etc.).

• 3 years later...