Video Files on Forum ×

How to switch between rhythm variations using registration

r_1159

38 minutes ago, dftx3 said:

It can be done,  in x3000 I select rhythm and variation before saving registration number, but freeze button is deactivated when saving.

thanks for the reply. Need to press Synchro start before selecting variation too? 

it doesn't matter ... the important thing is that the freeze button is not active when you play, if the freeze function settings are the default ones.  if freeze button is active when you change registration, then the previous rhythm and variation will be kept.

• 3 months later...

Hello... I am trying to replicate this, but  I can't. I want to change from V1 to V2 of the same rhythm changing from registration 1 to 2. Whatever I do (of course I record the registration 2 with V2 activated), the variation always is V1 when I change the registration. Freeze button activated or deactivated. CT-X5000. Thanks.

When changing Registrations, it will stick with whatever variation you have currently playing before switching Regs. This is not affected by the Reg freeze function.

To get around this, copy the Rhythm into a User Rhythm slot, and then open up that duplicate Rhythm in the Rhythm Editor. Copy Variation 2 into the Variation 1 slot of this duplicate Rhythm and save your edits. Now, store the Registration you're switching to with that duplicate modified Rhythm selected. When you change Regs, it will play Variation 1 (and show this on the display). But because you copied the material from Variation 2 into the Variation 1 slot, this is functionally identical to switching to Variation 2 anyway.

It's an extra step, sure, but that's the only way to get it done as far as I'm aware. You can do this editing and copying using the onboard controls, or you can do it on your computer using the ReStyle software and my CT-X Rhythm archive. ReStyle has the added benefit of being able to copy Variations into Fill slots and vice versa, which is not possible with the onboard controls.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

I'm not sure. I haven't been able to replicate that solution with or without the reg freeze button. Seems you had the same experience.

Hello I figured out the solution. You need to turn the freeze off and then press sync start, select the variation you want and then save the setting on registration. Pressing Sync start/stop is the trick here.

Hope this help

• Like 2

13 hours ago, r_1159 said:

Hello I figured out the solution. You need to turn the freeze off and then press sync start, select the variation you want and then save the setting on registration. Pressing Sync start/stop is the trick here.

Hope this help

It works! Thanks, thanks, thanks! I don't know why this is not included in the manual, since is a valuable function.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, r_1159 said:

Hope this help

Thanks for the explanation, that's super helpful!

You still can't use sync start on Fill-Ins, though, so if you want to trigger a fill with a pedal, you'll still need to use ReStyle and the workaround I described above. That presents its own issues though.

Since the fill was moved into a standard variation slot, it will loop indefinitely instead of transitioning into the associated variation once it's done playing. As such, you'll need two pedal presses to go from variation to fill to another variation.

When you change Rhythms with a registration switch, the Rhythm style changes on the downbeat of the next measure, not immediately. So, you need to trigger your fill a measure earlier than normal to get it to play at the right time. For example, let's say I want to do this sequence of things:

3 Measures of Var 1 of Rhythm A, then 1 measure of Fill 1, and finally switch to Var 2 of Rhythm A

If you were doing this with the Rhythm controller buttons, you'd press the Var 1 button at some point after the 3rd measure of Var 1 ended. This switches what would have been the 4th measure of Var 1 into Fill-In 1. Then you'd press the Var 2 button before Fill 1 ended so that it would transition to Var 2 on the next measure (the fifth measure overall).

When you do this with the original Rhythm A, the modified Rhythm B (which is a copy of Rhythm A but with Fill 1 swapped into the Var 1 slot using ReStyle), and the Registration cycle pedal, you'd have to adjust the timing of the pedal presses and set up your Registrations in a specific order.

Reg 1 has Rhythm A with Var 1 selected, Reg 2 has Rhythm B saved with Var 1 selected (this is Fill 1 of Rhythm A, but in the Var 1 slot). Reg 3 has Rhythm A saved with Var 2 selected.

You would let Rhythm A play for two measures, then during (not after) the third measure, press the Reg cycle pedal. This switches to Reg 2, which plays Fill 1 (technically Var 1 in Rhythm B). During that measure of Fill 1, press the Reg cycle pedal again to move on to Reg 3. You will then switch to Var 2 of Rhythm A at the downbeat of the next measure (the fifth measure overall).

Hopefully that all makes sense. I think this particular technique/workaround would be a great topic for a video guide in the future, I'll keep that in mind.

• 3 months later...

Hi @Chandler Hollowaywill this very useful workaround work with the CT-X700/800 (exclusive of the fills of course)? The subject just popped up on a YouTube thread and someone asked if this could also be done with the CT-S400 because this is super useful.

Unfortunately I cannot test this right now because my poor CT-X800 has been in the repair shop for one month and a half.