Video Files on Forum ×

Casio GP500 Problems

My GP500 has been just sitting here mostly unplayed because of several issues; noticeable inconsistancy of loudness and tonal characteristics as one goes up the keyboard, starting at E flat 3 using the Berlin Grand voice and continuing for approximately half an octave, the notes are extremely nasal (more like a duck call than a piano note) and finally, the keys must be struck soundly (no pun intended) to achieve pianolike volume. (A very noticeable difference becomes apparent when, for instance, one begins  at the second G and gradually steps up the scale until the E flat is reached.) If no difference is detected upon reaching that E flat,  I would suggest making an appointment with an audiologist.

On the plus side however, I love the Bechstein touch, the appearance, and some of the other features along with the impressive music samples.

Casio has now introduced the GP510 which, hopefully, has overcome the GP500's shortcomings. Some time ago it was hinted that the next iteration's module would resolve these issues.  Over the years I have had several Casio products and have never been disappointed. I an now hopefully confident that they will step up to the plate.

BTW, Just so one doesn't think I am crazy, I was in telephone contact with Casio's Anitha Rao and a technician who actually heard and verified one of my concerns. If they could hear the anomaly over the phone, then that should buttress my critique.

Edited by Wayne Taber
Afterthought addendum