Video Files on Forum ×

Need replacement keyboard part for vintage Casio SK-200 sampling keyboard

KimiB333

Hello. I have a Casio Sampling keyboard SK-200 that belonged to my mother. One of he keys was broken. I was told by a Casio referred Casio junk yard in California to take it apart and the part number would be on the back of the keys. He said that several keys would be one piece/part. The keyboard is actually divided into two parts and there are no part numbers on them. Only key numbers. I am trying to find out if there I a way to determine the part number, and then find a place that may have it. Also, it appears to be exactly the same as the keyboard on my Casio CZ-230S keyboard, so I am wondering if they are standard keyboards for smaller synthesizers of that time. Does anyone have any direction for me? TIA.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I do not know if you already found the part you need, but if all you need is to replace a key, then yes, you need a STRIP of keys for the CASIO MT line of keyboards from the 1980s(NOT THE 90s!). Look at your keybed and determine which key strip the missing key is on, and THAT is the strip you need. There are no modern part numbers and Casio will not have them any more. Your CZ230S does use the same as does the HT700. ANY 49 key MT from the 80s will do as a proper parts replacement board. If you are in the USA and have access to FLEAMARKETS and thrift stores, hunt for old Casios there. Also EBAY. Now bare in mind, a cheap Casio MT205 or some related model will be your ticket to the parts you need. The SK200 uses the SAME sound synth chip(not the sampler portion)as the MT205,MT520,MT105,MT110,MT220,and thusly, the SK2100(full sized version of the SK200). So those are the era keyboards you want to hone in on. Other models with the desired KEYBED are: MT240,MT540,MT640,MT500,MT85,MT88,MT600,DM100,MT820, and SK100(mono version with less features of the SK200).

So forget about part numbers, concentrate on what you SEE. Sadly with old keyboards, visual match ups are more the way to go for exterior parts. Now, Casiotone has so many models using the SAME keys and beds, that you are at least blessed enough to find what you need sooner or later no worries!

Hello. I accidentally found your response via another Internet search! THANK YOU for your reply. I was beginning to believe this, but had no proof. So the SK200 is a typical keybed of the time. I am so relieved to know this. I could have taken piano lessons (again, haven't played since childhood, and want to), for the amount of time I have spent trying to fix this sampler. It has deep sentimental value - my mother played beautifully and had a catastrophic heart attack. My father bought this for her in hopes that bringing her a keyboard might 'snap' her out of her mental state and wake her up. Alas, she had lost too much oxygen. But I need to fix this unit and have it for my future grandchildren when I go. THANK YOU!Hello. I accidentally found your response via another Internet search! THANK YOU for your reply. I was beginning to believe this, but had no proof. So the SK200 is a typical keybed of the time. I am so relieved to know this. I could have taken piano lessons (again, haven't played since childhood, and want to), for the amount of time I have spent trying to fix this sampler. It has deep sentimental value - my mother played beautifully and had a catastrophic heart attack. My father bought this for her in hopes that bringing her a keyboard might 'snap' her out of her mental state and wake her up. Alas, she had lost too much oxygen. But I need to fix this unit and have it for my future grandchildren when I go. THANK YOU!

KimiB333, you are most welcome! I hope you find the key strip section you need, and fix the keyboard as needed! DO NOT use glue, fix it mechanically only. When you open the SK, you will see 2 big circuit boards(main board and power/amp board), and you will see the front bottom of the keybed which is metal. You have to unscrew and carefully move the 2 boards out of the way but I think you may need to unscrew and move the speakers so you do not have to desolder the speaker wires. It is only a slight mess but if you take it slow and carefully, and slowwwww, you can succeed! After you have moved the boards and speakers just enough to access the keybed, you need to unscrew the keybed from the case. FIRST, unscrew the 2 contact boards from the keybed, and move them out of the way too, so now you should have 4 boards dangling and 2 speakers dangling too. THEN take the metal keybed OUT after you unscrew the screws holding it down to the plastic case. Note the rubber dome contact strips! You will need to clean them with warm soapy water and dry them with a towel, do NOT use a dryer! shake them, blow on them and pat them and then leave them to air dry(rubbers). Now the keys.. Flip your keybed over to have the keys face up at you. You will see the strip that has the missing key.. You need to unscrew the strip that has the missing key, which if it is the WHITE KEY, that is easy, carefully lift the strip side with your finger nail to separate the white strip from the black keystrip. IF the strip does not budge, that means it was tack glued to the black strip, in that case, use a razor blade and stick it at the end of the strip that IS accessible to you and work it kinda wiggling it until the blade goes between the strips(white top, black bottom). pull gently on the top white strip of keys while working the blade across the BACK of the strip until you reach the end of the first white strip that ends around the middle of the keybed. Pull up and out backwards until you free the white keys that has your missing key. Now grab your new replacement strip and put it in carefully making sure the hooks all go back into the holes in the metal keybed at the front of the black keys, and press the keys down as you work them int, and the whole strip should fall back into place and then screw it down, install your rubbers back(noting the rubbers with the last key as it is separated a little, from the rest), pat those rubbers back down into the holes, and put the keybed upside down back into the case, screw it down, then screw down the contact boards making sure you do not let the keys push in while trying to put the boards back(put something to life the front of the keyboard case up a little while screwing things back on the keys section). Now bring back the speakers, and 2 main boards and work them back in and screw it all in and put your cover back. OH, if the cover has battery leads, those WILL get in the way.. THOSE wires you can cut to move that back cover out of your way. I do NOT recommend using batteries on these keyboards if you can help it cause if you forget the batteries, bye bye Casio with acid damage!! But if you want to conserve that function, just splice those wires back together with electrical tape or heat shrink, if you need it, and button her up!

• 11 months later...