Video Files on Forum ×

Casio Data Manager for CT-X changes keyboard settings.

Just Alex

Found an easy to reproduce glitch, works on firmware 1.08

Set auto power off to OFF.

Connect to instrument via CDM.

Upload a rhythm.

Close CDM

now go to instrument settings and discover that auto power off is set to ON.

The far we go, more glitches I see.

This is really distracting and most idiotic error I ever seen. Next to an error, when you can't use CDM if you have your keyboard connected as midi device (even if not using it). All that totally ruins my keyboard experience.

3 hours ago, Just Alex said:

The far we go, more glitches I see.

This is really distracting and most idiotic error I ever seen. Next to an error, when you can't use CDM if you have your keyboard connected as midi device (even if not using it). All that totally ruins my keyboard experience.

A midi device in Windows OS cannot be used by two devices at the same time. This is not a Casio problem or a Casio Data Manager problem. This is how Windows works. No need to invent non-existent glitches.

Data Manager works entirely via bulk sysex batch commands. It doesn't need anything other than sysex to send files to the internal memory, because the CT-X models don't support features that would require a different kind of transfer protocol (sample import being the main one).

The way that the sysex dumps are formatted to carry out the transfer are documented in the separate MIDI implementation document for the CT-X models, so if you really wanted to, you could perform all the same functions with enough knowledge and a third-party sysex librarian. Data Manager just vastly simplifies the process by bundling the librarian features with an easy drag and drop GUI.

Thanks for pointing out this issue, haven't seen it documented elsewhere before.

2 hours ago, Just Alex said:

So, as we can see, it is possible to change system settings via SYSEX, right?

So imagine, someone posts cool style or midi file, you load it into keyboard and it resets all your settings or erases user recordings

so nice......

It can't erase a user recording unless you specifically try to load a new recording into that slot, and Data Manager warns you and forces a manual confirmation before that happens.

If you try to use a sysex librarian program other than the officially supported Data Manager and you overwrite pre-existing data unintentionally, that's part of the risk you sign on for when using unsupported, third party software. There's really no need to try to transfer data that way when Data Manager or the flash drive slot are acceptable methods.

Regarding your problem about being unable to use the CT-X as a MIDI device when Data Manager is active, that's a limitation that would exist regardless of which transfer software you use, because in the end, all software based transfers through the USB host port on the CT-X must be carried out via MIDI sysex and that means that Windows must open communications with it as a MIDI device over USB. Once that connection is established, it can't interface with any other software that might utilize the CT-X as a USB-MIDI device until that connection is closed. This would be the case with any keyboard or synthesizer that performs data transfer via MIDI sysex (like my MicroKorg, or my Roland JU-06, for example), it is not a Casio problem or a "glitch."

Your issue with Data Manager changing the auto-power off setting is indeed strange, but plenty of people have been using Data Manager for CT-X data transfer since the CT-X boards launched 3 years ago, and this is the only irregularity with system settings that's ever been reported on these forums. It seems unlikely that a transfer error that would result in catastrophic loss of user data or settings would have been entirely undiscovered through the QA testing phase and the three years the software has been in active circulation, but if you are that concerned about this possibility, you are always welcome to use the flash drive method for total peace of mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2021 at 11:22 PM, Chandler Holloway said:

It can't erase a user recording unless you specifically try to load a new recording into that slot, and Data Manager warns you and forces a manual confirmation before that happens.

If you try to use a sysex librarian program other than the officially supported Data Manager and you overwrite pre-existing data unintentionally, that's part of the risk you sign on for when using unsupported, third party software. There's really no need to try to transfer data that way when Data Manager or the flash drive slot are acceptable methods.

Regarding your problem about being unable to use the CT-X as a MIDI device when Data Manager is active, that's a limitation that would exist regardless of which transfer software you use, because in the end, all software based transfers through the USB host port on the CT-X must be carried out via MIDI sysex and that means that Windows must open communications with it as a MIDI device over USB. Once that connection is established, it can't interface with any other software that might utilize the CT-X as a USB-MIDI device until that connection is closed. This would be the case with any keyboard or synthesizer that performs data transfer via MIDI sysex (like my MicroKorg, or my Roland JU-06, for example), it is not a Casio problem or a "glitch."

Your issue with Data Manager changing the auto-power off setting is indeed strange, but plenty of people have been using Data Manager for CT-X data transfer since the CT-X boards launched 3 years ago, and this is the only irregularity with system settings that's ever been reported on these forums. It seems unlikely that a transfer error that would result in catastrophic loss of user data or settings would have been entirely undiscovered through the QA testing phase and the three years the software has been in active circulation, but if you are that concerned about this possibility, you are always welcome to use the flash drive method for total peace of mind.

Really thanks @Chandler Hollowayfor this clarifying post ..the way you answered on that made clear to me many things that would be difficult to understand later on my own...Also thanks to @Just Alex for asking bringing all this to the fore , even if he initially reported his observations as "a glitch"