Video Files on Forum ×

How to covert midi drum tack to CTX style format file

r_1159

Hello everyone 

For some reason I need to create my style on DAW as i cant quantize the the rhythm on CTX to the fraction that I need. Is there any way to conver the drum track ( say 2 measures on the track) into a CTX style and then load and use it on CTX? 

What quantization fraction do you need? The Rhythm Editor (strangely) doesn't show you what the exact values are, but the Phrase Pad recorder does and they're the same values as far as I'm aware. For reference:

1 = Unquantized

2 = Quarter Note

3 = Eighth Note

4 = 16th Note

5 = 32nd Note

6 = Dotted Quarter Note

7 = Dotted Eighth Note

8 = Dotted 16th Note

9 = Dotted 32nd Note

10 = Quarter Note Triplets

11 = Eighth Note Triplets

12 = 16th Note Triplets

13 = 32nd Note Triplets

If those still don't cover your needs, I released a reference guide that details the process of converting MIDI files into (older but still backwards compatible) .CKF Rhythm files, which will then be automatically converted into the proper .AC7 format file when you import it to the CT-X. You can find a link to it in my signature directly below this post.

Some of these terms are only going to make sense once you've read the guide, but pro tip: If you only need two measures of a single drum track, just make Variation 1 two measures long and put your drum part on MIDI channel 10. Insert blank measures to fill all the other gaps in the MIDI file; one blank measure for each element, as there can be no gaps in your sequence if you want the converter to work properly. 

So your sequence would be ordered like this:

1 Blank Measure for Intro 1

1 Blank Measure for Intro 2

2 Measures of your Drum Part on MIDI Channel 10 for Variation 1 (all other channels can be blank)

1 Blank Measure for Variation 2

1 Blank Measure for Fill-In 1

1 Blank Measure for Fill-In 2

1 Blank Measure for Fill-In 3

1 Blank Measure for Fill-In 4

1 Blank Measure for Ending 1

1 Blank Measure for Ending 2

This is assuming you want this two measures of a drum part to end up as part of a Variation 1, 2, 3 or 4; keep in mind that you can't copy variations to fills, intros or endings and vice versa, so this drum part needs to be in a variation slot in your .CKF file if it's going to end up as a Variation in the finished user Rhythm. Don't worry about voice assignments, reverb/chorus/delay etc etc in the converter program, you can handle that all later on the CT-X by tweaking the Rhythm Mixer settings in the onboard Rhythm Editor.

Then, once you load this converted .CKF Rhythm into the keyboard, you can simply use the Copy Part function to copy that two measure drum part into your User Rhythm to complete the process. Once this drum part is copied into the master Rhythm, you can open up the Rhythm mixer and choose a drum kit, volume, panning, reverb/chorus/delay etc as needed, and you should be set.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

What quantization fraction do you need? The Rhythm Editor (strangely) doesn't show you what the exact values are, but the Phrase Pad recorder does and they're the same values as far as I'm aware. For reference:

1 = Unquantized

2 = Quarter Note

3 = Eighth Note

4 = 16th Note

5 = 32nd Note

6 = Dotted Quarter Note

7 = Dotted Eighth Note

8 = Dotted 16th Note

9 = Dotted 32nd Note

10 = Quarter Note Triplets

11 = Eighth Note Triplets

12 = 16th Note Triplets

13 = 32nd Note Triplets

If those still don't cover your needs, I released a reference guide that details the process of converting MIDI files into (older but still backwards compatible) .CKF Rhythm files, which will then be automatically converted into the proper .AC7 format file when you import it to the CT-X. You can find a link to it in my signature directly below this post.

Some of these terms are only going to make sense once you've read the guide, but pro tip: If you only need two measures of a single drum track, just make Variation 1 two measures long and put your drum part on MIDI channel 10. Insert blank measures to fill all the other gaps in the MIDI file; one blank measure for each element, as there can be no gaps in your sequence if you want the converter to work properly. 

So your sequence would be ordered like this:

1 Blank Measure for Intro 1

1 Blank Measure for Intro 2

2 Measures of your Drum Part on MIDI Channel 10 for Variation 1 (all other channels can be blank)

1 Blank Measure for Variation 2

1 Blank Measure for Fill-In 1

1 Blank Measure for Fill-In 2

1 Blank Measure for Fill-In 3

1 Blank Measure for Fill-In 4

1 Blank Measure for Ending 1

1 Blank Measure for Ending 2

This is assuming you want this two measures of a drum part to end up as part of a Variation 1, 2, 3 or 4; keep in mind that you can't copy variations to fills, intros or endings and vice versa, so this drum part needs to be in a variation slot in your .CKF file if it's going to end up as a Variation in the finished user Rhythm. Don't worry about voice assignments, reverb/chorus/delay etc etc in the converter program, you can handle that all later on the CT-X by tweaking the Rhythm Mixer settings in the onboard Rhythm Editor.

Then, once you load this converted .CKF Rhythm into the keyboard, you can simply use the Copy Part function to copy that two measure drum part into your User Rhythm to complete the process. Once this drum part is copied into the master Rhythm, you can open up the Rhythm mixer and choose a drum kit, volume, panning, reverb/chorus/delay etc as needed, and you should be set.

Hope this helps!

Hello Chandler 

Many thanks for the detailed reply. So technical and educational. 

9 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

The Rhythm Editor (strangely) doesn't show you what the exact values are, but the Phrase Pad recorder does and they're the same values as far as I'm aware. For reference:

The rhythm editor also shows quantization values. To do this, you just need to click the Function button.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...