Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S1000 vs S3000 Key Action

rsaintjohn

Apologies in advance for being That Guy, I genuinely looked all over here and elsewhere for the answer and have given up.

The question is simply, “Do the PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 have identical key action? Do they feel the same, have the same response, and result in the same sound when playing identical tones?”

I’m really interested in the features and UX of the PX-S3000, but can’t seem to find one nearby to test. But PX-S1000 is easier to find and demo, just to get a feel for the keys. My experience is almost solely with synth action keys but I’m now specifically interested in a digital piano with some hammer action and weight. If I’m comfortable with the PX-S1000, I’m fairly certain I’d be happy with everything else the 3000 brings to the table (or stand, ha). Thanks in advance! 

The action is identical between both PX-S models, and both have the same array of touch response curves (Light2, Light1, Normal/Default, Heavy1, Heavy2, and Off). One of the best aspects of the Privia line is that all models of the same "generation" have identical actions/key mechs regardless of how advanced the other features are. For example, if we go back just a year or two ago, even the simplest and most affordable model, the PX-160, had the same action/keys as the flagship PX-5S or PX-560 (Tri-Sensor Scaled Hammer Action II). The current PX-S models kicked off a new generation, and as such, they both share the same Smart Scaled Action.

As far as the sounds go, the Grand Piano sounds shared between each model should be identical, and they have access to all the same Acoustic Simulator features. Can't really speak for the non-piano tones that are shared between the PX-S1000 and the PX-S3000, @Mike Martin would have to weigh in there. I know the PX-S3000 uses a lot of the same samples from the CT-X line for the wider set of arranger tones, like the brass, strings, and synth sounds just to name a few.

But to answer your question, yes, playing the PX-S1000 keys will tell you if you'll like the S3000 keys. If you're used to synth action, the PX-S action will be a great transition for you; it's lauded for being very fast and responsive to play. You may wish to try it out on Light1 or even Light2 to see if that's more comfortable for you, especially if you're not used to a weighted and graded action. Feel free to reference the S1000 cheat sheet I have linked in my signature if you want to mess around with some settings while you're demoing it in-store.

• Like 4

@Chandler Holloway having that PDF on my iPhone while checking out the 1000 at Guitar Center today was invaluable. Thank you again so much.

I was surprised how much of a difference there was between key action between what was in the showroom, even around the same price point. Fortunately the 1000 struck just the right balance for me, coming from synth action keys. 

These keys felt great, very responsive, audio was lovely. More than enough for me as a first true digital piano. What a fine keyboard. Can’t believe I let certain videos on YouTube sow any doubt in my mind. Looks like I’m definitely down for the 3000.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

@rsaintjohnThanks for taking the time to give our products a try.  😁

“You’ve come a long way, baby.” 😄

I feel like the prodigal son, though it hasn’t been that long since the XW-P1. The CT-S1 (still on pre-order, can never have too many good keyboards) was the lure, and it comes at a time when I’m suffering a bit of burnout on my complex synths and setups. Right now, I just want to play piano... and a little more. It is a joy to be “coming home” at the same time that I’d already been pulling out 40 years of classic Casio gear — 405, MT-400V, the CZs that have always been plugged in, that HT-6000, the XW — and now these. 

I’d left making music for a long while. When I wanted to get back in with synthesizers, the XW-P1 had just arrived to help me catch up and get the most bang for my buck. Now that I want to take a breather and dive back into piano (at 50-something, ha), I find that the PX-150 had already redefined the features and price of the market. And now I’ve got my choice between CDPs and PX-Ss which outperformed the other comparables in that Guitar Center showroom today. I probably looked and sounded like a madman, hopping between three brands playing the same songs, switching tones, looking at PDFs (and even Chordana on Bluetooth!) on my iPhone. But it was exactly what I needed to see that, once again, Casio was again going to provide just what I wanted at just the right time. That wasn’t a forgone conclusion, I have lots of gear from everyone. But Casio and the PX-S won the day.

Sorry (not sorry) for the life story, but it’s an opportunity to say “thanks” and tell you that you and your team are doing it right. Between this forum and its members, videos you and Rich do, extensive documentation, reviews like those from Merriam (a big influence, btw), and hands-on in the local showroom today, I had everything I needed to make a good decision. The homework was worth it and you guys continue to earn my hard-earned tax refunds. I’m really looking forward to celebrating 40 years with something(s) new! 

• Like 4