Video Files on Forum ×

Vintage 1980 Casiotone CT-201 and a modern day CT-S300 Tone Comparison

Hey all,

My latest video might be of interest to some of you modern and vintage Casiotone fans. I was curious to see/ hear how the tones of the very first Casio/ Casiotone home keyboard, the 1980 CT-201, compared with one of the modern Casiotones, a CT-S300.

Casio recently (2019) resurrected the Casiotone product line name, and clearly used inspiration from their original line of Casiotone models in making modern versions in the spirit of the originals. But how do the tones compare with four decades separating them?

Obviously the CT-S300 is a modern sounding and very capable home keyboard. Meanwhile, the CT-201 is vintage, limited and has unrealistic though surprisingly unique sounding tones. And I love both of them!

• Like 1

lol, boy I have been absent from this forum for awhile. I had no idea that Chas=Clark 👋

Such a fun video. Watched again this evening. Seeing the 201 and thinking about the CT-S1, it almost makes me wish that one of the design choices for the S1 had been faux wood. The simplicity of the S1 makes it truly a worry descendant. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rsaintjohn said:

lol, boy I have been absent from this forum for awhile. I had no idea that Chas=Clark 👋

Such a fun video. Watched again this evening. Seeing the 201 and thinking about the CT-S1, it almost makes me wish that one of the design choices for the S1 had been faux wood. The simplicity of the S1 makes it truly a worry descendant. 

Thank you! And yes, Chas is my nickname. Got called that years ago by someone in the UK who couldn't get their head round the name "Clark" being a given/ first name (it's an unusual first name in the UK, much more commonly used as a surname). It sort of stuck, so I tend to use Chas online though I'm officially on Facebook as "Clark"!

Also totally agree - Casio really should make a Casiotone successor with a faux wood look. I'd LOVE a modern Casiotone in a vintage wood look case!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally finished and uploaded Part 2 of my Vintage and Modern Casiotone comparison video.

In this video I compare the second half of the 1980 CT201's selected tones with those in a modern CT-S300. As per the first video, the CT201 often surprises with how unique and how nice its tones are, and the CT-S300 continues to do a very good job of reproducing realistic traditional instrument sounds. And of course, the VL-1 makes some cameo appearances!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks, good comparison! 👍and the 201 sounds are sweet, loved the piano and trombone.

I think a CT anniversary model with the sound banks of the old CTs would also have been interesting :):) 

what about the touch feeling? any preference?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 7:10 PM, Chas said:

Hey all,

My latest video might be of interest to some of you modern and vintage Casiotone fans. I was curious to see/ hear how the tones of the very first Casio/ Casiotone home keyboard, the 1980 CT-201, compared with one of the modern Casiotones, a CT-S300.

Casio recently (2019) resurrected the Casiotone product line name, and clearly used inspiration from their original line of Casiotone models in making modern versions in the spirit of the originals. But how do the tones compare with four decades separating them?

Obviously the CT-S300 is a modern sounding and very capable home keyboard. Meanwhile, the CT-201 is vintage, limited and has unrealistic though surprisingly unique sounding tones. And I love both of them!

Hello everybody,

In your opinion…., what are the features that make a keyboard a “home keyboard”? I mean:

Technically speaking…, when we can speak about a keyboard as being a “home keyboard”?

Thanks in advance!!

On 5/25/2021 at 7:37 AM, giano said:

thanks, good comparison! 👍and the 201 sounds are sweet, loved the piano and trombone.

I think a CT anniversary model with the sound banks of the old CTs would also have been interesting :):) 

what about the touch feeling? any preference?

The CT-S300 has by far the better keyboard, but to be fair, the CT-201 keyboard is 4 decades older so might not be performing as it was when new. The CT-S300 has the addition of velocity sensitive keys (switched off in the video to keep the tones on a more level playing field), so it would have greater expression available when activated.

However, the 201 has character in spades and a very unique timbre and vintage feel to its sound, whereas the 300's tones could be produced by any modern keyboard or VST.

I like them both, but if they got lost,/ stolen, the 201 would be missed much more because I wouldn't be able to get its tones from anything else. Other than maybe another earlier Casiotone such as my CT403, but even then, the 403 has some differences to its tones compared with the 201.

Also agree that Casio should really include some/ all of the sounds from those classic vintage Casiotone models as a "vintage bank" in the new Casiotone models. Those classic Casiotones really do have a unique sound. 👍

On 6/6/2021 at 7:26 AM, Crisanto said:

Hello everybody,

In your opinion…., what are the features that make a keyboard a “home keyboard”? I mean:

Technically speaking…, when we can speak about a keyboard as being a “home keyboard”?

Thanks in advance!!

Generally speaking, a "Home Keyboard" would be an affordable all in one unit that comes with built in speaker(s), comes with a general selection of preset tones and an easy to use/ simple accompaniment section. The idea being that you can just switch it on, turn up the volume, hit start, and then play the melody with your right hand and trigger the accompaniment section with your left hand. Basically, it allows fairly rudimentary players to be a self contained all in one "band".

Of course, you can switch off the accompaniment section, and some home keyboards allow various options as to how complex or how simple the accompaniment will be.

This definition is more from the era when "professional" keyboards would be  regarded as a dedicated synth/ tone generator only, with no drums/ accompaniment/ speakers. That's why when you see synth rigs in the late 70s to approx the mid to late 80s you'll see multiple keyboards, and possibly a sequencer unit and even a drum machine because the keyboards didn't have built in drums or any form of accompaniment/ sequencing.

The definition starts to get blurred from the end of the 80s onwards with the rise in popularity of "Workstation" keyboards. These did come with programmable drums and accompaniment sections, and also comprehensive sequencers, but generally they still didn't come with speakers.

Into the 90s "Arranger" keyboards became available, and these were kind of somewhere between a "Home Keyboard" and a "Workstation". Whereas Workstations often had full featured and fully programmable synth sections along with powerful sequencers, Arranger keyboards were more geared towards accompaniment "Styles" and preset tones, especially for the then new GM "General MIDI" standard. 

However, as all these keyboard types evolved the lines between them get even more blurred. Fundamentally though, Workstations are high end, expensive and very powerful/ flexible keyboards/ synths that could easily be solely used to make full professional productions with. An Arranger keyboard wouldn't have the same level of powerful and flexible features of a Workstation, but could still be used to make a full production and would nearly always come with built in (and good quality) speakers allowing it to be a self contained and one man band instrument. A Home keyboard would be kind of a consumer orientated Arranger keyboard, with features more aimed at beginners and geared more towards simplicity than flexibility. And they would be built down and priced for the home user rather than built more substantially for the gigging/ professional user.

As said, the lines are very blurred now and it's possible to buy a modern Home keyboard, i.e. a modern Casio CTK, that is actually more powerful than an 80s Workstation. However, in the modern age a "Home Keyboard" can still generally be defined as a consumer aimed and accordingly priced all in one keyboard with built in speakers, and easy to use accompaniment.

11 hours ago, Chas said:

Generally speaking, a "Home Keyboard" would be an affordable all in one unit that comes with built in speaker(s), comes with a general selection of preset tones and an easy to use/ simple accompaniment section. The idea being that you can just switch it on, turn up the volume, hit start, and then play the melody with your right hand and trigger the accompaniment section with your left hand. Basically, it allows fairly rudimentary players to be a self contained all in one "band".

Of course, you can switch off the accompaniment section, and some home keyboards allow various options as to how complex or how simple the accompaniment will be.

This definition is more from the era when "professional" keyboards would be  regarded as a dedicated synth/ tone generator only, with no drums/ accompaniment/ speakers. That's why when you see synth rigs in the late 70s to approx the mid to late 80s you'll see multiple keyboards, and possibly a sequencer unit and even a drum machine because the keyboards didn't have built in drums or any form of accompaniment/ sequencing.

The definition starts to get blurred from the end of the 80s onwards with the rise in popularity of "Workstation" keyboards. These did come with programmable drums and accompaniment sections, and also comprehensive sequencers, but generally they still didn't come with speakers.

Into the 90s "Arranger" keyboards became available, and these were kind of somewhere between a "Home Keyboard" and a "Workstation". Whereas Workstations often had full featured and fully programmable synth sections along with powerful sequencers, Arranger keyboards were more geared towards accompaniment "Styles" and preset tones, especially for the then new GM "General MIDI" standard. 

However, as all these keyboard types evolved the lines between them get blurred. Fundamentally though, Workstations are high end, expensive and very powerful/ flexible keyboards/ synths that could easily be solely used to make full professional productions with. An Arranger keyboard wouldn't have the same level of powerful and flexible features of a Workstation, but could still be used to make a full production and would nearly always come with built in (and good quality) speakers allowing it to be a self contained and one man band instrument. A Home keyboard would be kind of a consumer orientated Arranger keyboard, with features more aimed at beginners and geared more towards simplicity than flexibility. And they would be built down and priced for the home user rather than built more substantially for the gigging/ professional user.

As said, the lines are very blurred now and it's possible to buy a modern Home keyboard, i.e. a modern Casio CTK, that is actually more powerful than an 80s Workstation. However, in the modern age a "Home Keyboard" can still generally be defined as a consumer aimed and accordingly priced all in one keyboard with built in speakers, and easy to use accompaniment.

Dear Chas,

Excellent… wonderful explanation…

Thank you very much!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2021 at 12:10 PM, Chas said:

Hey all,

That was fun!!  

• Thanks 1