Video Files on Forum ×

Trying to connect AP21 celviano to Windows laptop

Hello,

I'm trying to connect this digital piano to my windows laptop. I had a generic usb-midi 5 pin connector with the treble cleff sign on it and that one works with my apple macbook just fine. Although for some reason it doesn't seem to work with my windows laptop. So I recently bought a slightly more expensive one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0719V8MX1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 plugged it in and get the "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it" message. 

I tried updating the driver in the device manager but it says it's up to date. Strangely, when I plug the device in with IN/IN and OUT/OUT (not the way it should be)  FL studio recognises the device as 'USB MIDI' but it doesn't seem to work. I tried turning 'local control on/ off' as shown in pg. 16 of the mannual but no luck https://www.manualslib.com/manual/357973/Casio-Celviano-Ap-21.html

Is the only solution buying the more premium 'roland e-mu' USB-MIDI then updating the driver on it?

EDIT: just plugged the cable into my macbook air and works instantly so makes me wonder even more why it doesn't work for my windows laptop. 

NVM: After plugging it into macbook air, it is no working ofr my laptopn windows so this forum is essentially solved now.  I found that the problem is you must have all connections connected i.e usb in claptop and midi connections in piano before the piano is turned on otherwise it won't recognise the device. 

Although I can only get around 512 samples on ASIO4ALL without latency. Anything higher like 2048 samples it is far too laggy to be playable. This might be the difference between cables qaulity or it could be to do with the specs of my laptop. 

Any help appreciated. 

Edited by bobalicuous
  • Like 1