Video Files on Forum ×

Functionality of LK-S250 with Chordana Play

AlenK

This is yet another thread about Chordana Play and the LK-S250, but concerning the functionality of the app not about problems with connectivity. 

As background, I have ordered an LK-S250 as a first keyboard for my grand-daughter's 7th birthday. She has enjoyed noodling around on my PX-560 whenever she has visited (a while ago now given the pandemic) but can't actually play anything. I am hoping that the light-up keys of the LK-S250 and the built-in lessons that use those will motivate her to learn. The UI also looks pretty simple and I hope that with a little instruction she will be able to operate the machine on her own. The dance music mode also looks like something she could have fun with. When she outgrows the LK-S250, I hope it will be passed down to her younger brother. 

The LK-S250 hasn't arrived yet so I haven't had a chance to check it out in person. But one thing I wonder about concerning the lesson modes is fingering instruction. The previous LK model (LK-S265) has a graphic showing the correct fingering for each step in the Watch lesson mode. The LK-S250 doesn't have that and I presume it does not even list the proper finger(s) numerically, correct?

But I see that Casio's Chordana Play app does have this functionality using on-screen graphic depictions of left and right hands. However, when connected to the LK-S250, does Chordana Play support the equivalent of the LK-S250's Watch lesson mode while playing one of the app's songs in the exact same way Watch mode operates on the LK-S250 with an internal song?  In other words, does it flash the light for the key (or keys) and play a tone for each step, waiting for the correct key (or keys) to be pressed before advancing to the next step?

Unsurprisingly, the Chordana Play user manual is less than clear about this, only describing a lesson plan 2 mode "...in which playback waits until you play correctly using either the app keyboard or a MIDI connected musical instrument keyboard." It doesn't say if it will light up the correct key or keys for a given step while it waits for user input.     

Edited by AlenK

The keyboard arrived and I tried it out with Chordana Play. Indeed, Lesson Plan 2 in Chordana Play behaves in exactly the same way as Watch lesson mode for internal songs in the LK-S250. Lesson Plan 2 works that way for Chordana Play's built in songs and for imported MIDI files. Nice. 

• Like 1