Video Files on Forum ×

A Night in Tunisia - John "Dizzy" Gillespie & Frank Paparelli

Tsquare

Decided to tackle another jazz standard which isn't my forte.  Keep in mind, I'm a "just play the right notes" type of jazz enthusiast, Ha.  This piece is particularly dissonant, but in a real cool way.  One midi track using the Grand Concert Piano.  Sheet music from Great Jazz Standards arranged by Bill Boyd.

A Night in Tunisia.mp3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keep at it-solo jazz piano-as challenging as classical-nice job. Walking bass in there, not easy. Dizzy and Thelonius-were very pro-teachers. did you know-Thelonius graduated from Julliard-many thought he couldn't play well, in reality he was composing very advanced voicings and arrangements as he played! Thus his rather unusual sounding playing live. I watched a bio about him, very complex interesting and humble guy, wish i had met him. and Dizzy another brilliant musican. One of the few I got to hear live when I was a music student came to our school with the quintet-I was too busy gigging myself to go see some of these geniuses, had to catch them when I could. Why I like jazz so much-many of these musicians with practically nothing going for them-except their musicianship-forged this "new" language. But then, there was Charlie Parker, who would pick the other musician's pockets while he was playing on stage with them! He even stole one of his fellow musicians saxes (or trumpet I forget which) and had it in the pawn shop before the poor fellow noticed it was missing! And they still worked with him......I'll be waiting for your next work here. Thanks T. by the way-why do you call yourself T-Square-my father was a design engineer, I just took home his original drafting board, which he made himself, with his K & E pencils a few other tools that survived (he passed away 15 years ago). He's the one who got me started as drummer when i was a kid.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the compliment and interesting bio information on the master jazz musicians Jokeyman123.  My username describes my job, structural designer, Ha.  My grandmother graduated from Julliard as an organist.  She looked and played like Diane Bish.  She got me interested in piano in the 4th grade.  I'm still amazed that she could instantly transpose to any key when required.  I have to use the technology crutch button on the PX560, Ha.

• 1 month later...