Video Files on Forum ×

MIDI Channel setting for Tone up/dn

Mr.X

Not sure how to clearly ask this question, but when using this keyboard just as a MIDI controller, when choosing banks and presets directly, it’s easy to set the MIDI channel for PC messages. But when pressing the +1/-1 button which I think cycles through “Tones”, how do you choose the MIDI channel for the PC message that gets sent when pressing these buttons? It seems to always send on MIDI channel 1 no matter what setting I set on the PX-5S.

I could not find anything in any of the manuals regarding this so thank you for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

When you are playing the PX-5s normally the +/- buttons only change the Quality of the sound  (i.e.) the tone for the specific stage setting and specific zone you are on.  A Stage setting is broken into 4 zones and by default, zone 1 out is MIDI channel 1, zone 2 out is MIDI channel 2, zone 3 = 3, zone 4= 4.   If the particular stage setting has the zones mapped to different MIDI out channels, then switching to that stage setting will change those channels. 

To map a zone for a particular stage setting press:

Edit > Zone Edit > MIDI Edit > External Out Ch then the +/- buttons on the far right.  You can of course assign MIDI channels 1-16.  Follow the procedures to save the stage setting if you want the change to be stored permanently.

On the top of the display window you will see Z1, Z2, Z3 or Z4.  This is the current zone within the stage setting you are editing.  To change the zone, press -/+ buttons next to the Tempo button on the LEFT hand side of the display window.

Edited by Choppin