Video Files on Forum ×

Detective work.....can you help identify this classic machine?

badsanta

Hi, 

Thanks for adding me to your forum :)

I'm trying to find out the exact identity of an old keyboard from 1980 that I'm considering purchasing.

The make and model says 'Suzuki M-300' ...... HOWEVER.....

I'm almost certain that it is at least in part, a Casio machine.

Although the buttons and controls are different, the Suzuki model has the same casing, speaker - it's a dead ringer for early CT Casio's of the era like the 405. Check out the screenshot to see the likenesses.

Picture001.jpg
casio-casiotone-405-xl.jpg

Research so far has turned up practically zero on this Suzuki apart from a single listing on MatrixSynth and an accompanying Youtube video.  I really like the tone of this old beast, but I'd love to find out some more before I lay out any cash.

Any advice, opinions, wisdom greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This will be of help https://organforum.com/forums/forum/electronic-organs-midi/combo-organs-keyboards/44961-suzuki-m-300-schematics

I don't think it has any ties to Casio, Suzuki are a large musical instruments corporation who apparently even own Hammond! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Musical_Instrument_Corporation

Keyboards of the time had a certain similar look, still trying, like traditional organs, to look like furniture! :D

• Like 1

Lol IanB on the ball early in the morning! Yes, it is a unique portable organ with unique sounds and beats generation tech. It is NOT Casio at all. The Rhythms are straight Home organ beat section tech. The sounds are gloriously pulse and square wave sounds mixed in combinations to give different timbres. The Pulse width modulation effect gave it away instantly that it was not Casio. The keybed is made by Matsushita Electric/Panasonic and used on the likes of Korg Mono/Poly, Poly 800, DW6000, etc. The casing is as IanB stated. Many manufactures even Casio , duh, tried for the home organ look. Suzuki pretty much stayed with that look until the they changed to all sampled cheesy keyboards in the 90s like so many. I would very much like to have this keyboard myself. IF the price is right, grab it! It is worth it. Now, make sure it works though.. Suzuki had a knack for failing alot back then but if you could find a good working portable organ, it was so sweet!!

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks guys. I had a feeling that the tone generation was completely different to Casio's, and you've confirmed this now. Much appreciated.

Really weird I can't find any info online. To me, this reminds me of some of the early analogue string synths which are much sought after these days. I'm gonna get in touch with the guy again and see if I can found out what condition it's in.

• Like 2

The video you saw I take it is the one below?

For sure it shares some common traits,  both feature wise and aesthetically, with early 80s Casiotones, but it is most definitely not a rebadged Casiotone. Listening to the video on my phone, it appears to have a nice chorus type effect that was never (unfortunately) included with those old "woody" Casiotones. And though the Suzuki's drum accompaniment has similar tonal characteristics, they don't exactly match those of the vintage Casiotones. Plus those vintage sounding drums were quite common on other home organs of that era, with many sounding similar to the mid 70s Roland TR77.

I do have to say that the Suzuki does sound nice! I'm a fan of the warm sounding vintage home organs and this one is worthy of any collection. 

If it's available at a good price, BUY IT!

ares 

• Like 1

hello! Well, the instrument sounds an awful lot like my very early Yamaha red and black combo organ from the 1970s... it would be definitely one for the rack in the rec room! Speaking of which, I have a whole 20 foot wall in my rec room of 'screwed on standards' with angle brackets and on them - strange obsolete keyboards from way back - the whole length of the room... I try not to let anybody into that room, for fear that they will take me to the funny farm...

bottom line? If you've got the space and you find something like this, buy it! At the very least you can get your money back on a site like reverb.com if you really don't like what you bought...

cheers from Toronto

R

• Like 1