Video Files on Forum ×

Best synth-action keyboard?

Hi. I'm a guitarist, and having played different pianos and keyboards for quite a few months, I'd like to get a keyboard with a synth-action, even if it means not having AiX sounds. I tried a Roland Go:Piano, as the local shop didn't have the Go:Keys, and although not weighted it was heavier than synth-action, which I didn't like. So, is the CT S300 the best synth-action keyboard? The more expensive keyboards seem to have heavier keys. The descriptions that say touch sensitive really don't tell me anything one way or another and I can't guarantee the shop I'll go to that has a range of Casio keyboards will have everything on display to try. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dave AS
  • Like 1

Hi, I haven’t tried it personally but I understand that the Ct-S400 is much more capable, sound-wise, than the CT-S300, and it also has a better keybed. So I’d go for it, not for the CT-S300.

Anybody else?

Vinciane

Edited by vbdx66
Error

Hhmmm? That is a good question. The newer Casio keyboards starting with the WK100 started being designed with the NEW PIANO BLOCK front keys. The action is all plastic with plastic bed and keys, no metal no weights. So far my collection of Casio home keyboards all have that same action. Is there some OTHER variation of this all plastic home keyboard action by Casio I am unaware of?? I check the syntaur website for parts, and I do not see it except for the OLDER Casio keyboards of the 80s, and the 90s strip keys which again were all the same all plastic actions with the exception of 2 model types that strangely used METAL keybed frames(CT700, and CT648?). Now you compare digital pianos, that is a different beast. But the synths and home keyboards de Casio all have the same non weighted all plastic block front keys now. No difference. Now you ask what is the BEST key action of Casio synths/home keyboards, of ALL time? Then The Casio VZ1/FZ1 keybed which I have. But we can get more obscure and say the CPS2000 keybed was even better as it was the same as the VZ1 bed but with piano front block keys and a little weightier and more robust for angry playing lol! They don't call me PIANOKEY JOE for nothing ya know!

Edited by pianokeyjoe
added info.

Hi, thanks for the replies. Reviews I have seen suggest that the more expensive keyboards have heavier actions heading towards weighted keys. I'm just trying to avoid that, having had problems with learning on piano in college while studying guitar. So, I was looking for the best sounding keyboards that still have a light synth key action. The higher end CT-S keyboards are described in reviews as having heavier actions. While having not yet tried a Roland Go:Keys I seem to be left with the CT-S300.

@Dave AS- I can give you my experience as I own both a CT-S300 and have just acquired a CT-S1000V. I'm also a self taught "synth style" keyboard player rather than a piano player that would be more used to weighted and hammer action keys. As such. I prefer a lighter synth action keyboard as I'm used to and more comfortable playing synths. 

Comparing the keyboard of my CT-S300 with that of my new CT-S1000V, the 1000V is a definite step up in quality and feel. It's still more a light synth action keyboard, but it feels more firm and "solid" than the S300. It's not heavy or weighted feeling, it just feels like a more expensive and next level keyboard (which it obviously is!)

The S300 is a fine keyboard and good value for money for what it offers. It's perfectly suited to beginners on a budget wanting to try out and explore the world of electronic keyboards. The S1000V, though considerably more expensive, offers so much more and is also good value in the context of what it offers. My personal verdict of the CT-S300 is that it is a very competent keyboard but it didn't offer anything that I didn't already have (other than a compact 5 octave midi keyboard and its dance music mode.) The S1000V is a completely different case as it has unique features and is capable of unusual sounds that I can't get elsewhere, plus it feels very well put together and nice to play. I'll probably sell the S300 at some point, but so far the S1000V is a keeper.

In summary, both the S300 and S1000V have "synth action" keyboards, the difference being is that the S1000V is better quality and has less give, making it feel slightly firmer. I have no problem playing either. 

I believe that the 1000V has the same key action as the 400, which costs half the price. Could someone please confirm this? Because if you want a good synth-type key action but don’t need a sophisticated keyboard, the CT-S400 might be a sensible choice.

Vinciane

I heard a rumor, a while back, that Casio had upgraded their keybed action with the release of the Ct-S1/400/450/......  On the Gearfacts (1000V vs e425) video, keybeds are compared  which was stated that the e425 was slightly noisier and less spongy?

Edited by Casiokid
better english
  • Like 1

@Casiokidtime will tell but it seems that keybed quality of the PSR E keyboards has decreased since the very nice PSR E433 and E343.

On the contrary, it seems that the Casiotone keybeds have been improving since the CT-S1 and CT-S400, with the CT-S500/1000V having the same redesigned keybed.

I would try this out for myself in a music store, though.

I've played the keyboards you refer to.  I found Roland's Go:Piano 61 to be nearly impossible to play, feeling overly stiff and "springy", and I recall the Go:Keys being similar.  I have a Casio CT-S400, which is also a bit like this, with a constant push-back fighting your touch, very similar to the Yamaha NP-32, though it is playable and not nearly as bad as the Roland. The CT-S300 is less like this and easy for me to play, even though it feels lighter and I prefer "weighted" keys, though the CT-S400 is superior for it's sounds and features. Haven't seen a CT-S500, but I would assume it has the same rubbery contact strips as the CTS-400 that give the keys their "feel". Hope this helps.

• Like 1