Video Files on Forum ×

A tip for anyone trying to create a rhythm manually, using the Quantize setting

Mclandy
Go to solution Solved by Mclandy,

I recently have been trying to create some drum rhythms manually, and have been having a big problem getting the drum notes to quantize correctly, based on the Quantize value in the User Rhythm Recording Settings, defined in the manual on page EN-82.  In the manual, it defines the Quantize settings as Off (default), 4, 8, 16, 32, 4d, 8d, 16d, 32d, 4t, 8t, 16t, 32t.  "d" refers to "dotted" notes, and "t" refers to "triplet" notes.  When setting this value on the keyboard, the menu simply shows values from 1 to 13, which presumably match the order of the items in the list above. 

However, the actual order of the list is as follows: Off, 4, 4d, 4t, 8, 8d, 8t, 16, 16d, 16t, 32, 32d, 32t.   In other words, the most commonly used values (for 4th, 8th, 16th, 32nd note alignments) are actually 2, 5, 8, and 11.  So the list in the manual is very misleading in this regard.  For example, you might think that to set the Quantize value to align to 16th notes, you would set this value to 4 (which actually quantizes to quarter note triplets!!), but really you should set it to 8.

I also found a little trick -- If you are in a menu like this, press the Function button, and the display will change from showing the number (current setting) and (in this case) the word "Quantize", to showing both the number AND the value of the setting (for example, "1  4" or "7  8t".  For example, this also works when setting the Chord Conversion Table, Inversion, and so on.

This was extremely frustrating until I figured it out!  Hopefully this will save someone else that frustration.

Edited by Mclandy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for that hint, i wanna try my own rythms next... Had a Problem with quantize on phrase pads yesterday, it added additional Piano Tones i never played, after changing quantize afterwards, it works, maybe the same topic... 🤔👍👍👍

• Solution
On 4/25/2022 at 2:27 PM, Dj_Akey said:

Thanks for that hint, i wanna try my own rythms next... Had a Problem with quantize on phrase pads yesterday, it added additional Piano Tones i never played, after changing quantize afterwards, it works, maybe the same topic... 🤔👍👍👍

Yes, it's exactly the same problem with Quantize in the Phrase Pad recording.  It makes it seem like random notes were added, but it's actually because the notes you do play get shifted in unexpected ways by the Quantize function.