Video Files on Forum ×

Can a Privia-PX 76 Connect To A Focusrite?

I’m very new to recording. I have a Privia PX-760 and I’m trying to record myself singing AND playing piano. I just bought a Focusrite interface but realized too late that I don’t have the right cord to connect my piano to it. I have a USB-B to USB-A. Obviously this won’t connect to a Focusrite. Can someone please help me understand what I need to do? I really don’t want to buy a whole new piano.

To record audio you'll need to record the audio outs on the PX-760 to the audio ins on the Focusrite. You probably need 1/4" cables to do this, but I'm not sure what connectors the PX-760 has.

USB out on the PX-760 only transmits MIDI data.

(Another option would be to use a microphone to record the piano, but no one does that with a digital piano unless they want the sound of the room or something like that.)

• Like 2

As Joe says above, most keyboards transmit audio via their line outs, not USB. You'll need to connect the PX line outs (most likely 1/4"/ 6.5mm TR jacks to your Focusrite interface. 

You didn't say which model Focusrite interface you have, as the most basic sound interface models sometimes come with just one or two inputs. If you want to record the audio of your PX simultaneously with a mic line in, you will need a minimum of two line inputs (the PX will have to be recorded in mono if you only have two). Or if you want to record the PX as stereo with your mic input you will need to have an interface that can handle three inputs at once (most likely a four input interface model).