Video Files on Forum ×

PX5S - FM tones as FM-ish synthesis.

XW-Addict

PX5S FM tones are samples but they are not ordinary samples , As most of you PX5S owners know the samples on the keyboard are quiet extraordinary

And it has to be similar for the PX560 and probably for the MZ X500 as well. PX Air samples are different because some have an extra addition of resonance and 

other filter like behavior.  Each tone catagory has a specific depth to its tone,  Which can be synthesize or modulate for piano , clav , bass or E.P's

I'll focus on the FM tones only because of the FM-ish synthesis kind of type it can do.  Basically the keyboard built for making sought for clav or E.P sounds. 

But with an incredible synth engine and DSP such like Ring modulator which gives sound also an FM-ish kind of sound. 

We have a keyboard with samples having filter etc on them and a ring modulator tone and hexlayer as well to me that a basic FM-ish setup to work with

love to go in depth but I'm not so proficient at it for now :--) , I experiment away and discover. Still it is interesting because from a synthesis kind of view 

the keyboard can mangle the samples in an FM-ish way cause the sample got some kind of spectrum in them. Hexlayer synthesis got quiet a depth to 

it to make the FM samples tones nearly sound as it would with operators but its done with filters. Maybe this doesn't sound correct than again viewing it

from this perspective those tone have filter spectrum on them which can be modulated which creates a faux versatile FM-ish engine at hand. 

The EP on the PX sound more than nice right. There are several tones in the EP and Hexlayer category that apply to the idea you can do FM-ish  synthesis

I will make a list which one and that is the beautiful part we got two categories on the keyboard providing them.

It takes a bit of experimentation using tone , hexlayer and ring modulator and system effects as well to make clang swirling FM-ish sounds. 

Some of the stuff I've been experimenting on I've learned watching Matt Johnson from Jamiroquai he's been on Youtube quiet some time 

sharing his knowledge its really awesome, One of the reason I've been looking if the PX5S can have those sounds and it can I'll demo some 

sounds soon cause some of the techniques apply to other tone samples as well. I'll keep this thread up to date. 

Edited by XW-Addict
  • Like 2
  • Love 1