Video Files on Forum ×

S500: Initial impressions- surprised!

5 days in I wanted to share my initial reactions to this Mini-Mighty-Mite.

In getting a new board I always dread that no-mans land of figuring out my way around.  For me that mostly means basic Tone editing and setting up Multis/Registrations.  I’ve got to be able to know how to customize the individual sounds, and then go thru the considerable work of throwing sounds together in layers and splits.  For me this is a very circular process, organic in nature if you will, and it takes me a ton of time- so I appreciate when the UI is intuitive and immediately understandable. 

Have been so pleasantly surprised at how well this minimalist approach works.  I’ve always thought you needed a tablet as an interface in order to make things user friendly, or 4-5 times more top panel control knobs/buttons/etc.  Turns out Casio has figured out a way to do it with a smallish screen, a jog wheel, 5 soft buttons, 10 assigned buttons, a PB wheel and 3 mod knobs.  That’s practically nothing!  And yet it works well.

Like any board, esp lower priced, there are a ton of compromises that naturally go into that kind of purchase- it comes with the territory.

But happy to say, as a 20+ years consumer of a half dozen cheapie boards, things have finally started to really turn around.  Casio came out with the AIX chip, and the difference in quality is super noticeable.  I suffered thru a Casio WK7600 and more than my fair share of mediocre sounds on so many boards.

> So as someone who highly values bang-for-buck brands, this is sweet indeed.  And to see a substantially better keybed (WK7600 and the CT-X5000 both grew to be terrible over time and were subpar from the beginning) at this price level blows my mind.  AND for the UI to be a total happy surprise

For getting up to speed on the basics it helps that I printed out PJD’s cheat sheet of 2 columns: Menu and Setting items.  

> AND that the 3 knobs act as specified control knobs OR as Menu functions setting knobs.  

> AND that most pages show 3 choices, so you advance quickly

< AND that with the dedicated TONE, RHYTHM and REGISTRATION buttons you always know how to get where you want to go.  

> AND that thru the MENU button you have access to the innards thru 2 pathways.

> AND that a second press of most of these function buttons brings you back to the last screen you were on.

Things I like so far: 

- for a sub $500 keyboard with 5 watt speakers, this board really does OK.  It’s an over-achiever with a large bass-reflex speaker, all while maintaining its svelte form.  That said, it’s a 6/10 on an absolute scale, the PA1000 speakers are a 10/10.  But judged on its own Mérits: price, portability, good keybed and sounds, it’s a 10/10.  I didn’t know this quality of sound system could be done at this price point / weight / size.  

- I love that its so portable- that it’s not a huge aircraft hanger sized top panel is such a relief!  I can put it on my lap when sitting in the recliner, or I can put it out in front of the couch on a small table and it’s perfect while I’m watching movies and playing along with the sound track.  Have never been able to do this with such ease before-

- the keybed is really decent- I don’t find myself complaining like I did with the CT-X5000- the keys are very well mannered, quiet, and while it’s slightly harder to play towards the fall board, its a better keybed than I had on the $2k Korg PA1000 (an otherwise mind-blowing keyboard).  I find myself playing energetic block chords, so far my hands have been pretty enthusiastic and at home on this keybed. 

> I’ve felt the most expressive setting when I’ve set the touch to LIGHT. Like with some of the EPs that have some of that satisfying growl in the low end- with those I get frustrated cause it feels like I have to reach a velocity of 115 in order to trigger that growl, whereas I’d much rather it was triggered around 100.  

> So it’s only on LIGHT that I can reliably trigger that.  It’s way more effort than I want to make- I don’t want to have to bust my hands whacking the keys in order to trigger that growl sample , a medium whack would be much better.  

- mostly like the sounds, haven’t auditioned much beyond the pianos and EPs.  I enjoy the APs, still getting comfortable there, but I’m finding the EPs a let down. I’m spoiled by Neo Soul Keys Studio 2, an iPad app that helps you get funky with those sounds from the 70s.  

> Happily, with BT MIDI to my iPad, which works well, and an 1/8” cable to the Aux In, I’m golden.  Looking forward to mapping the 3 knobs to iPad instruments.

I’m due to be getting the Yamaha PSR EW425 in a week or so.  It’ll be great fun to compare and contrast.  From what I understand it has also gone thru a similar substantial upgrade in sound and keybed and functionality.  Ain’t competition grand!

I’m tempted even with my limited budget to keep both:

- EW425: 76 keys /// a substantial sound system, 24 watts /// new piano and organ sounds /// new keybed, I tried it, very similar to the S500 /// audio interface /// microphone in!!! /// 

- CT-S500: 10 pounds and 10” deep! /// Decent sound system /// controller capabilities /// decent keybed and sounds /// User Friendly, intuitive /// recliner/couch/bed friendly ///

Rudolph R-N R 

Edited by Rudolph R-N R
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 1:49 AM, Rudolph R-N R said:

Have been so pleasantly surprised at how well this minimalist approach works.  I’ve always thought you needed a tablet as an interface in order to make things user friendly, or 4-5 times more top panel control knobs/buttons/etc.  Turns out Casio has figured out a way to do it with a smallish screen, a jog wheel, 5 soft buttons, 10 assigned buttons, a PB wheel and 3 mod knobs.  That’s practically nothing!  And yet it works well.

Yes, the interface is really nicely designed. The fact that you can change the main 5 buttons to have the functions you really want there made a big difference to me, too.

On 2/2/2023 at 1:49 AM, Rudolph R-N R said:

And to see a substantially better keybed (WK7600 and the CT-X5000 both grew to be terrible over time and were subpar from the beginning) at this price level blows my mind.  

I haven't played those particular boards, but yes, I'm impressed with the action on this one. I even find piano to play surprisingly nicely on it, the toughest test. I don't know how much of that is the action per se, vs. the samples they're using, vs. the mapping of one to the other... but whatever it is, it works. And yes, better in that respect than the Korg PA1000 you compared it to.

I'll be curious to see your comparison to the EW425!

• 5 months later...