Video Files on Forum ×

CZ-1000 all LED lights on, no start?

snap_shot

I had the same issue with my CZ101. Open the unit up and check for battery leakage damage like corrosion on the circuit boards, even the little one in the middle between the mainboard and the power/audio board. The all lights on is a CPU issue which usually is a failure due to batteries being left in the unit to leak all over the boards. I still have parts of that dead CZ in my stuff and that unit was purchased and parted out back in 2010 or 2011. Someone else here may be able to shed better light on the symptom though, but yeah, check for blacked circuit traces on the boards where they are normally green..check that battery compartment and any boards, even the ones not near the compartment..

A very quick and simple thing you could try is to perform a reset by pressing the recessed "P" button underneath the keyboard. Quick, simple, and will rule out a simple memory scramble situation. Ensure that you perform a reset by pushing and holding the reset button while powering on the CZ1000. This also applies to the CZ101, and possibly the CZ230S.

https://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic.php?t=103926#:~:text=First thing to try- switch,This resets it.

Also check the cartridge port and ensure that nothing is in there, including anything that shouldn't be there that might be shorting out the slot. From your video it doesn't look like you have a cartridge inserted, but if you do, remove it and then try powering on the CZ. I had a faulty RA-3 ram cartridge that would lock up my CZ-101 when powered on, and with it removed my CZ101 then worked absolutely fine.

Edited by Chas
  • Like 1

If the CPU does not wake up, check if the quartz or reset capacitor is faulty. A tiny shortcircuit in the reset capacitor can make hardware play dead and cause all kinds of trouble (same with conductive battery leak residues on the PCB). E.g. in Sharp talking alarm clocks an almost undetectable high resistance short of >10 megohm in that cap is enough to prevent starting. In my AVR Transistor Tester a dead 8MHz quartz caused random start problems with erratic behaviour.