Video Files on Forum ×

Casio CT-6500 - board not working?

Hello faithful Casio fans, I recently acquired a Casiotone CT-6500 at the customary rate of $1/lb, it had a problem with the audio cutting in and out or being scratchy and distorted but I fixed that by reseating a ribbon cable, however I have an interesting issue where a whole set of buttons and lights are completely inactive - the chord and rhythm sections mostly:

https://ibb.co/D1hNMyf

However I can trigger the drums from an external MIDI source and the tempo light between START/STOP and SYNCHRO blinks accordingly. I have a scope and meter, the boards look in pretty good condition but it would be nice to know a good place to start. Thanks!

On 7/20/2023 at 8:53 PM, nanocyde said:

However I can trigger the drums from an external MIDI source and the tempo light between START/STOP and SYNCHRO blinks accordingly. I have a scope and meter, the boards look in pretty good condition but it would be nice to know a good place to start. Thanks!

It's possible that its MIDI is set to "Slave" mode. That means  that rhythms and accompaniment can only be triggered (clocked/ stopped and started) via an external MIDI source. 

Check the manual to see if it has a way of setting the MIDI mode. If it doesn't have a MIDI master/ slave setting, then it's probably hardware related and could be another ribbon cable that needs re-seating.

Edited by Chas