Video Files on Forum ×

Strange sound from AP-65R

amandapen

Hello, my 20ish year old piano which has always worked like a charm is now making an odd harsh sound with playing only in the power bass section of the piano. This is since my nephew had a little too much fun making far too much noise with it this past weekend. I'm not sure if something has been loosened somewhere I might be able to fix. I've made a YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/Hcy3-aJUo-o

The bass section speakers just got blown. Nothing is loose, the amp board maybe about to be damaged though. Try just headphones and see if the same effect occurs and if NOT? Then it is the speakers in the bass section. That would be the best case scenario. Worst case? If you hear the fuzz in the headphones, then the AMP board is about to be damaged and you may need a replacement before the amp causes the rest of the piano to fry. Happened to me with a Roland digital piano. Now I have another one with a dead amp board too. My Yamaha Electone organ.. same thing, the bass speaker amp blew but the treble speaker section is fine. Your piano does accept audio input so if you plug a cd player into it and play the cd player/mp3 player too loud, that will kill the bass amp..

On 8/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, pianokeyjoe said:

The bass section speakers just got blown. Nothing is loose, the amp board maybe about to be damaged though. Try just headphones and see if the same effect occurs and if NOT? Then it is the speakers in the bass section. That would be the best case scenario. Worst case? If you hear the fuzz in the headphones, then the AMP board is about to be damaged and you may need a replacement before the amp causes the rest of the piano to fry. Happened to me with a Roland digital piano. Now I have another one with a dead amp board too. My Yamaha Electone organ.. same thing, the bass speaker amp blew but the treble speaker section is fine. Your piano does accept audio input so if you plug a cd player into it and play the cd player/mp3 player too loud, that will kill the bass amp..

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately I couldn't find a headphone jack so we haven't got to the bottom of it just yet. My nephew did record himself playing at full volume, then play it back at full volume so I am concerned about that amp.