Video Files on Forum ×

Unable to record samples into Casio RZ-1 (using Input & Mic/Line Jacks)

sHey all I am new to the forums and glad to be here! I will start by pasting what I asked on gearspace. Any feedback would be the world to me, as I was so excited about this purchase, and now I am running into a problem. I'll follow up after the pasting w the prior feedback etc. Thanks!

"I recently bought an RZ-1 off Reverb for a little under $400. I am pretty new to hardware samplers, and this is brand new to me. I am pretty sure I am following the steps correctly as the audio I am sending into RZ-1 can be heard via RZ-1 audio out. I follow the steps and play the sound I want sampled, however it just stays saying (for example) 'SAMPLING 1', and never changes to the message 'SAMPLE OK!'. Also when attempting playback by pressing said sample pad, it is either silent, or still one of the sounds that was already loaded when I received the RZ-1. Is there a common error or something I may be doing wrong? Or possibly is it a battery issue or something of that nature? I have tried both line in jacks. I do notice that in order for me to hear the sound from the source I am attempting to sample from (coming through RZ-1, letting me know it is recieving the audio in my mind); I can only plug the 1/4" inst cable about half way in or so (it seems very touchy), if I try to plug cable in all the way, the way I assume it should be plugged in, it seems as if I am not receiving the audio into the RZ-1. Any thoughts folks? Am I possibly flubbing such a easy process of steps, or is it possible that the input jack(s) are broken/worn out, and thats why I can never get as far as the 'SAMPLE OK!' Message? Can someone please advise? I invested in this thing as a treat, and have been really looking forward sampling with it. Any help/input is super appreciated  Thanks!

- Chris"

So 1. Someone said that the halfway plugged in thing (where U was actually hearing the sample source coming through is no good, and I wont be able to sample if its not plugged in good and taught, 2. Someone suggested that because of its age it could be a dirty or bad input  So I am wondering if I should take out the screws in back, and try and 'regular NES; etc' clean the jack(s). Please advise. I was sooooo excited for this, and because if]]]of anxiety, I may just sell it at a loss and get a Ms 1 or something,. Thanks!!

Regards,

input jack is broken. There are solder points on the bottom of the circuit board that the input jack mounts to, that needs checked and possibly resoldered or the jack may be broken inside and thus this now becomes a repair job. $400? That is pretty high cost considering you can buy other samplers used for less or that price NEW(Roland SP404). But I know about the love of nostalgia so , I will not harp on with that. The short and skinny is you will need to take the unit apart and check the solder points under the input jack to see if they are broken or lifted off the board(the usual case is the solder pads are lifted). This is very common for ANY device with an audio INPUT jack as that is the most abused jack aside from the wall wart DC power jacks on most home electronics gear.. Ask any cell phone user how many power jacks have been broken from the plugging and unplugging of their phones. The audio input jack can be bypassed IF you know electronics and soldering well. But I will not go there right now. Lets see how this topic goes.

Well, actually, I thought some more and there are other things you need to check BEFORE you take things apart. I bought a Yamaha RS7000 sampler with my Casio RZ1 samplers on craigslist and I found out I could not get audio input when I used a STEREO 1/4 inch to stereo 1/8 plug cord from my computer or phone. I then tried using a mic but it too was stereo plug. The inputs for the RS and the RZ samplers(RS is YAMAHA), are MONO Left and MONO Right inputs only which means your cord HAS to be MONO plug not stereo! So once I really really dug deep and found a proper mono mic, all was working. Also a quick test is use a mono 1/4 plug guitar cord and plug it in and then hit sample and see if when you touch the tip of the cord plug on the other end, you get hum.. if you do not, then yes, your jack or jacks need repair. IF you DO get a hum, then you resolved the issue. DO NOT use cheap RCA audio cables with RCA to 1/4 plug adapters.. will not work right either. Also make sure your LINE vs MIC setting or switch is correct. I am not home to see my RZ1s to see what is what but that would be the sensible assumption. Yes there are midi and MT dump options. Very painfully slow and unreliable.