Video Files on Forum ×

CASIO FZ-1 turns on but does not make sounds

titanif

16 hours ago, titanif said:

Hello,
I have the opportunity to buy a casio FZ-1 at a good price.
what happens is that it turns on but does not make any sound, I would like to know if it can be easily fixed or it can be very expensive, any ideas?

Thanks a lot

The Casio FZ needs to have a sample(s) in memory to play sounds. It also has the ability draw its own waveforms that can be stored as a sample.

Does the FZ you are looking at come with any sample disks? If it does, try loading samples into its memory and then try playing the keyboard. This will also let you check out the FZ's disk drive that are known to fail with age (unless it's been replaced with a modern SD card floppy emulator). Also bear in mind the the FZ uses a rare Shugart floppy interface that is incompatible with the much more common PC 3.5" floppy standard. PC drives can be made to work, but you have to modify them to make them compatible. 

Check out this FZ-1 video that does a good job of showing how to create your own waveforms from the front panel:

Edited by Chas

The FZ1 DOES have a built in rudimentary wave forms synthesizer built in ROM BUT, to access this, you have to be in create sample or create preset mode? and select sound source.. internal waveforms.. instead of mic or disk or line in. Emm.. I never owned the CASIO FZ1 but I have the YAMAHA A4000 and they share similar operation in this. There are videos on youtube that showcase the CASIO FZ1 built in synthesizer. Now.. You are correct. The FZ1 is by default, quiet as it will seek to want to load SAMPLES by default, as does the A4000 from Yamaha as well as the Roland W30/S50 which also has a rudimentary synth built in but to access those wave forms, you have to enter the menu system in the sample create or edit function of each of those samplers. So.. Not broken, you do need to either LOAD samples from disk or line/mic(live recording), or select a internal waveform. I am not sure, but I think.. think, it may be saw,triangle, and square waves?