Video Files on Forum ×

Using Variety Of One-Note Patterns Recorded In A Phrase With Phrase Sequencer.

XW-Addict

I was recently doing a groove on the PX5S and had this cool thing going with a hexlayer

which was set as a drum kit,  

Here is the cool thing I've discovered. Each hexlayer tone can be key-mapped to a 

single key,  It can make a hexlayer drum kit or wave sequence hexlayer.  In this case

I made a drum kit with each layer on a key.

Hexlayers make it possible to set each key to an octave range. I've set it up like a regular

drumkit. 

When a drumkit is made from a hex layer it can be played as one and a phrase can be recorded

with a phrase sequence where the key is set on fixed to play this hex-layer as a drum kit . 

I wanted to try something different.

I wanted several one-note patterns using the phrase sequencer on this hex layer tone I used as a drum kit 

as if the hi-hat had different patterns to play with.  

Worked perfectly and then I had the idea can I play this one-note phrase on another key and

extend different patterns over the range of the keys just like I've recorded it in the phrase.

Yes of course it can and it did play over an octave range. just as it can be recorded in the phrase 

sequence. 

Imagine it like recording a hi-hat pattern in the phrase sequencer on each key in the octave in a variety.

What I did was record a pattern on four notes each skipping a few notes and four notes again in 

an extended variety.   

patterns recorded in the phrase can then be played according to how a musical sequence should 

sound, Because of the versatility of the hex layer where tones can be fixed on a key range,

there are new ways of patterns at the disposal of single tones or layers of them by the key range they are set. 

This one-note sequence can be anything I've tried washy synth sequence and slow to fast hi-hat sequence. 

Lots can be done with note duration, filters, Amp, and motion recording on a single note. 

The trick here is getting several one-note patterns recorded in the phrase sequence where each pattern should be played

over in the octave the phrase key is set from the arp select menu. To highlight this means recording each pattern as overdub at the

beginning of the phrase sequencer recording over again or else each pattern gets spaces if the individual patterns are

recorded in one go. 

To emphasize because there are six hex layers fixed in the key range like a drumkit record each pattern 

individually in the phrase sequence, Overlap each one-note pattern by simply overdubbing the phrase recording.

Or use a daw to make each single key pattern into a MIDI file and convert this MIDI file with the PX5S app to a phrase. 

The drumkit setup works best this makes it possible to have the desired tone being played by that pattern.

It's a bit of experimenting. Its possible like with make shift hi-hats and synths that handle single one=note patterns.  

I knew phrase recording is versatile but I never came up with this to this extent early until I made a groove

with a stage in which that sound and pattern caught my ears. 

I'm releasing an all-file sometime when I'm done experimenting with this.   

Edited by XW-Addict
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Choppin said:

Can you post a short video or audio file of what you are talking about?  I can't understand what you are describing.

Soon for the "All"  file, I'll see for the coming weekend for an example, Have to try a few things out if it's only for hexlayers.

I'll make work in the explanation as well.  It's cool something I've bumped at.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 2:17 AM, Choppin said:

Can you post a short video or audio file of what you are talking about?  I can't understand what you are describing.

Its up , Side note I remembered the XW does this per key with full phrases. 

• Like 1