Video Files on Forum ×

Using the Casio Data Editor for PX-5s

Privmn33

Having troubles getting the data editor to start up/install.  Also, the PDF associated with the editor seems to be missing some steps.

First step in DATAEDITORPX5-E1A.pdf  states for Windows:

1. Display the ‘stage setup selection’ screen.

Going thru both the Tutorial and the ‘Basic Users Guide’ – I was not able to find this specific screen or a button that would bring me there. There are obviously ‘stage setting banks’., but no ‘stage setup selection screen’ was noted. This steps implies that if the PX5s is not in this configuration, “you may not be able to transfer or delete data……

2. Prior to this I believe the Data Editor manual should state: Turn on computer, connect midi cable, turn on PX5s. These steps work, since Windows noted Casio USB driver installed.

Problem is: I’ve tried to start the editor on both a Win PC with XP SP3, and also with Windows 7 laptop. I also tried a different USB cable, get the same response noted below:

Editor 1.0.0 window pops up, the blue bar goes to about 30% across, then stops.
    - like it waiting for something. System utilization goes to around 100%
    - usually have to hard boot PC to get out of this mode.
    - I downloaded the Editor a 2nd
    time to make sure I didn’t have a corrupted file…still having the same issue.

The PX-5s was updated to firmware 1.1 and otherwise seems to work fine.

As noted in step 1) above does the PX-5s have to be at a specific screen for the data editor to completely install ?

Editor 1.0.0 window pops up, the blue bar goes to about 30% across, then stops.

- like it waiting for something. System utilization goes to around 100%

- usually have to hard boot PC to get out of this mode.

- I downloaded the Editor a 2nd time to make sure I didn’t have a corrupted file…still having the same issue.

The installation does not require the PX-5S to be connected. 

How long are you waiting while the status bar is at 30% and CPU 100%? On a slower single core machine this could easily take a minute or so.

What spec PC/laptop are you using?

On XPSP3 try:

Disconnecting the PX-5S.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

Start Task Manager and leave to show performance.

Start the editor with the PX-5S disconnected.

Start the editor and wait for a few minutes.

This will establish whether the installation was successful.

If after, say, 5 minutes, the editor is still 'stuck' tab to the Task manger this will take time and kill the editor. On XPSP3 there should not be a need to reboot. 

If you are sill having problems let me know and I will try the editor on a Win7 PC for you.

willf - Based on your suggestions, I decided to go to another one of my other Windows 7 PCs and try to open the Editor (did not connect piano)   ….it did load

Observations. The XP SP3 PC I tried to initially open the editor on was a Dell Pentium 2.6 Gig machine with 2 Gig Ram…it did not open, ultimately locking the machine

The 2nd machine was an Aesus mini laptop with Win 7 and 1 Gig ram….same issue locked up the machine

Both of these had my Band in a Box and Korg SV1 editors installed and working; apparently the Data Editor for PX-5s needs more horsepower.

My 3rd machine is a 3.3 gig Dell PC with 3 gig memory and a Video card with additional RAM. The editor loaded on that PC.

...looks like the Editor has some minimum requirements for RAM/performance in order to even open….

Now that I’ve sorted this out I’ll wheel the PX5s up to this PC and see if I can fatten up the Bass sounds…..I usually gig out with a PX-350….lugging a Roland Bass/Drums midi module to get the FAT bass sounds for when I use left hand bass….hopefully I’ll be able to tweak the PX5s Bass tones…and eliminate dragging the Roland box.

Thanks for your ideas and help