Video Files on Forum ×

Is there going to be a firmware update for xw-p1?

I'd LOVE it if Mike chimed in with "It's in the works." But I think the chances of another firmware update are about the same as my chances of growing a third arm. The XW-P1 is now almost one and a half years out of the gate. Casio didn't fix some obvious bugs that were identified over a year ago by users (such as how the sliders operate when they act as drawbars for the XW's own drawbar organ - they work fine as controllers, BTW) so why should they fix any so late in the product cycle?

By and large, apart from the very nice upcoming iPad solo-synth editor, Casio's support activities (we call them "sustaining" where I work) seem to be very much focused on the PX-5S. It is evidently getting features added on a regular basis that I see as obvious missings on the XW line. One of them that was added in the last PX-5S update was apparently the ability to turn on or off layers or zones using the foot switch or the sliders. Sliders aren't assignable on the XW-P1 but I would kill for the footswitch to be able to do that (as well as to turn the arpegiator on and off, as I mentioned in another thread). But I'm not holding my breath.

UPDATE: I corrected the paragraph above about the PX-5S update. The feature I mentioned was actually already added in the last firmware update, not an upcoming one. But I'm sure the PX-5S will receive yet another update in the future.