Video Files on Forum ×

Sustain and new Stage Settings

Reynard Foxe

I have a PX 5S, (I am a fan of Casio keyboards, I have 4) and the PX5S is pretty amazing.

One thing I just can't work out is why the current sound and settings are dropped as soon as you select a new Stage Setting even though the damper pedal is depressed.  

This is not the case with any other keyboard I have ever owned and it makes this great keyboard  unusable for me live.

As an, example when I use a piano and strings combination, then change to another Stage Setting, the original sound is instantly cut off and the strings go to full volume for a few milli seconds- so embarassing especially after a nice string fade. The alternative is to stop playing, wait for the sound to die out, select the new stage setting then start playing again. This is fine in the studio but rarely practical in the middle of a song when playing live.

Please help- I really want to use the PX 5S live but I can't until I get this sorted out.

If this has been asked and answered, I apologise. I have looked but I can't find it anywhere.

Very few keyboards will sustain the sound as you are describing.  I have owned Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil and more.  The only one that I have that will do what you are saying is the Korg Kronos or Korg Kronos X.  Sorry.  I wish they would all do this but I guess it requires a lot more horsepower than most synths or stage pianos have.  I feel your pain when it comes to performing.  It is, indeed, embarrassing when the drastic change happens.

The fact is that the PX-5S will and can sustain when you switch Stage Settings.  Switch from 0-0 to 0-1 while sustaining and you'll see.  It will drop out however when the active zone is switching between the regular tone engine and the HexLayer engine.  To minimize this you could edit some of the Stage Settings and switching things that are on Zone 1 to in inactive Zone like 3 or 4 leaving Zones 1-2 open to switch between Hex Layer Sounds.  I realize this is a work around but it is possible to eliminate it completely with some work.

Thanks Lonelagranger. I may have confused you with my dodgy description.  Thought I was going crazy so I just checked the two closest keyboards in my house- a Roland RD 600 and a Casio PX 330 and they both sustain the old sound when you select a new sound as long as you have the damper pedal depressed. The only one in my zoo that doesn't is the newest, the Casio PX 5S.

Still need help!  Thanks

Hi Mike...I have heard from the Guru of Casio-ness! I am so excited. Thanks for the help. Workarounds are fine. I will go and experiment tomorrow.

I really love the PX 5S. Very sophisticated. Sounds great too. We all want a keyboard that does it all- the veritable swiss army knife-  but the price of that is some hours spent doing the necessary homework.

I was a Roland guy for years, then one time I was waiting for my keyboard zoo to be shipped to me so I bought a PX or PG 555 (?) to use in the meantime. Still playing it 3 times a week 6 years later. Casio/Privia is the most underated keyboard family there is. They are as tough as my Rolands and half the weight. Not to mention a third of the price and every bit as much fun.

Thanks Mike for the help. Keep up the great work.

Very few keyboards will sustain the sound as you are describing.  I have owned Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil and more.  The only one that I have that will do what you are saying is the Korg Kronos or Korg Kronos X.  Sorry.  I wish they would all do this but I guess it requires a lot more horsepower than most synths or stage pianos have.  I feel your pain when it comes to performing.  It is, indeed, embarrassing when the drastic change happens.

I am afraid that this is not accurate. For example the Kurzweill PC3 series and Roland Fantom X both offer seamless patch switching. Back to Casio - providing that you are careful with effects then this is also achievable on the PX-3. I would be very surprised if it cannot be achieved on the PX-5S.