Video Files on Forum ×

Stage management?

maarkr

I went thru the stages and flagged many that are very similar, so I may overwrite them.  Does anyone play live and have any special organization for the stages that work?  I'm guessing the pianos in the bank X-0 position, ep's in bank X-1, etc makes sense, but it's a different way to setup sounds from what I'm used to, and I'm concerned about pressing 3 buttons to go from a piano to an organ quickly, for instance.   My XP has on bank one: 3 pianos, 4 organs, 3 synths, so I can play several songs on this one bank requiring only one key press to switch sounds.  For other sound sets, I can switch to bank 2, so again, I'm only hitting one button on the fly to change sounds if needed.  

Maybe this is a non-issue, but I was just wondering about how others set up for live play?

maakr, great question and very much on my mind right now.  There is definitely way more than one right answer IMO.  I think it depends on your rig set up, the type of band you are in (or playing solo for the matter) and how rigid a player you are i.e., do you play your parts pretty much the same every time or do you improvise a lot.  I use the PX-5s in conjunction with a Nord Electro 4, am playing in a cover band that does everything from the Allman Brothers to Maroon 5 to Bruno Mars and I would say I'm an 8 out of 10 on the rigid scale. 

The band carries about 30 songs on its play list.  My current thought is to create one Stage Setting for every song that has every sound I need in it for that song (the setting will set the program on my Nord too).  I will line the Stage Settings up on the PX-5S in the order the set list (which I will hopefully get more than a few minutes before the gig), probably starting with 0-0.  I will probably then set up the 4 or the 9 bank with some generic settings: a straight piano, and Rhodes sound, a Wurli, in case we go into something unforeseen.  I have the PX-5s controlling the Nord via MIDI so I have a silent program on the Nord (32-4) if I just want to use the PX-5S.  If use the PX-5S to play any of the piano sounds on the Nord, I have the "Generator Out" setting "Off" on the PX-5S.  When I need them both, but seperate, I have to activate the program change feature, but disable the MIDI so I can use both keyboards.  This is a totally new rig (my dream set-up!) and it's all very complicated for an old man like me, but it is fun and is keeping my brain sharp (I think).  The different set-up possibilities are nearly endless!  Good luck and have fun when sorting this out the way that works best for you...!

• Like 1

Hi,
this seems to be a theme for the facebook discussion group.
I put my Stagesettings, which I needed for a gig all in Bank 0. So it was just one button to change.

Using a StageSetup you can also change the sound by selecting the Group (Piano, ElecPiano, Organ) and + - Keys

It COULD be a feature for a firware update, to change the bank on pressing long on a button to change the bank.

Ralf

the sliders sound good but if i change from bank 0-0 with slider 3 up to bank 0-1 on the fly, i may need to change the sliders also... it's an option but it's easy just to press one button.

our band mostly practices, playing most any rock, blues, etc we come up with at the moment... if we play out we have about 30 songs ready to go.  I use an iPad with Songbook loaded so the songs show my keys setup detail along with the music.  I need to go thru all 100-ish songs and rework the setup notes so when i setup the presets, i don't want them to change.

the sliders sound good but if i change from bank 0-0 with slider 3 up to bank 0-1 on the fly, i may need to change the sliders also... 

Not necessarily .. you can have the sliders in any postilion and switch to a new Stage Setting..the sliders position  won't  affect the new Stage Setting until you move them. Not sure if I am wording that the best way... hope it makes sense!  :)

• Like 1