Video Files on Forum ×

My B-3 key feels a little loose - manufacturer defect?

leefentress

I just got my PX-5S and the B-3 key feels a little lose, like it's not as weighted as middle C or A-3 on either side. It's driving me crazy. I know the keyboard has the graded hammer action where the keys are supposed to get heavier the farther down you go, but this seems a little off to me. I'm trying to determine if it's a manufacturer defect, if they're all like this, or if it's just mine. My mother has been playing piano for several decades, and I got her to check it out as well. She confirmed that I'm not losing my mind, although she said it's just barely noticible even to her. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Leefentress,

That sounds very unusual and honestly based on my knowledge of the action I'm not sure how that could happen.  There shouldn't be a dramatic difference as you move from one key to the next.  I would recommend that you contact your dealer or Casio support. 

http://www.casio-usa.com/support/contactus/contact/

I haven't noticed this on mine. Is it something that you could demonstrate in a video, or is it completely a "feel" thing?

Are you near any Casio dealers where you can try out another PX-5S (or PX-350, 850, etc.) for comparison?

I don't know how much a video would help demonstrate what I'm talking about. It really is mostly just a feel thing. The nearest dealer is about 45 minutes away. I'm planning on going back over the weekend.

Leefentress,

That sounds very unusual and honestly based on my knowledge of the action I'm not sure how that could happen.  There shouldn't be a dramatic difference as you move from one key to the next.  I would recommend that you contact your dealer or Casio support. 

http://www.casio-usa.com/support/contactus/contact/

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll call support this evening. I may just take it back to the dealer this weekend and exchange it for another if they have them in stock. If they don't, hopefully they can wait to make the exchange when they get more in. I still want to work on my stage setups with this one for as long as I can, and save them, to use on the new one. I just want to be sure I don't run into the same problem with the new one! Otherwise I may as well stick with this one and just try to get used to it.