Video Files on Forum ×

Best setup of PX-5S for Recording and Live Performance with Laptop Computer and Plugins

robertwharvey

I have a PX5S, a dual-core laptop with some sampler plugins and some DAW software, and a Focusrite Midi/Audio interface.  

I'm struggling with programming a stage setup in the PX-5S that will work well in both recording and live environments.   It looks like I can set up the four zones for live use, and then use the remaining 12 parts for recording and playback , but how do I tell the PX-5S keyboard to output on a particular MIDI channel to record a particular part?  Does the PX-5S have to be set up in one of the four zones to get MIDI output, or can I just tell it to use the MIDI channel of one particular part?

I need an easy way to switch between parts, in other words, so that I can lay down individual instruments in each MIDI track of the DAW.

• Like 1

Hi Robert and welcome to the forums. I haven't played around with this a whole lot - but it may be instructive for you to download a multitimbre MIDI file, load it into your DAW and see how it plays on the PX-5S.. you will be able to see how the MIDI channels and Bank/patch changes work in correlation to the current stage setting you are on.

I’m working on getting a good stage setup for the PX-5S, and I will eventually figure out a setup that I like.  I will share that with the group once I have it.  

But what I really need to know at the moment is if there is an easy way to change the MIDI OUT channel on the keys?  I’m attempting to record several PARTs using a DAW (Mixcraft 6, which is awesome), and I’m trying to figure out how to easily switch between MIDI channels so that I can lay down different PARTs.   Mixcraft is already echoing the MIDI information back to the PX-5s, and I’ve got Local Control set to off, so I’m getting a nice MIDI loopback, I just need to figure out how to get the PX-5s to emit MIDI data on the channel of my choice.

Maybe I can program one of the knobs to do this?