Video Files on Forum ×

OT: Cool Sequencer

AlenK

This is a bit off topic, but I recently discovered a cool hardware step sequencer called the MTRX-8 made by "boutique" manufacturer Fyrd Instruments out of France. It's been available for a few months but each production batch is very limited quantities. For anyone in the US or Canada it costs (today) about as much as the lowest price I have seen an XW-P1 sell for.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/08/a-brilliant-199e-hardware-sequencer-with-jog-wheel-mtrx-8-preview-photos-video-interview/

http://www.fyrd-instruments.com/MTRX-8

The interface is cool, what with all the LEDs, but that's not the reason I'm mentioning it here. I'm doing so to compare it to the XW's on-board step sequencer (which is identical in the P1 and G1 models).

1. Both the MTRX-8 and the XW offer real-time control of a wide range of sequencer parameters. The MTRX-8 does so using eight "virtual" encoders whereas the XW uses its nine sliders and a total of nine buttons for real-time edits to its step sequencer (not counting buttons to access menus, modes and playback controls on either)

2. Sequences on the MTRX-8 are only eight steps compare to the XW's sixteen. You have to chain sequences together to get more steps.

3.. The MTRX-8 stores 32 sequences whereas the XW stores 1600! (100 preset and 100 user sequences, each with 8 patterns )

4 The MTRX-8 can store only a single chain of up to 32 8-step sequences. The XW can store 100 chains of up to 99 16-step sequences.

5. Both the MTRX-8 and the XW's step sequencer can function as drum sequencers (in very different ways).

6. In the drum sequencer mode the MTRX-8 can do automated rolls. The XW cannot. 

7. The MTRX-8's bank of eight virtual encoders can function as four banks of MIDI controllers (32 in total) outputting CC# values. The XW's sliders don't output CC# values and in general are not very useful as MIDI controllers. However, the XW does have four assignable (and real!) knobs.

8. The MTRX-8 is just a step sequencer that outputs MIDI. You have to hook it up to synthesizers or drum machines to hear anything. The XW on the other hand generates its own sounds as well as outputting sequences on MIDI (and USB), containing as it does a multitude of synthesizer engines, drum sets and effects. It even throws in a five-octave keyboard.

Conclusion: The XW's step sequencer is in many ways superior to the MTRX-8 and for the same money you get a free synthesizer included in the same case. :D

• Like 2