Video Files on Forum ×

Stage Settings changes via MIDI

marcdeben

Thanks Scott,  I read the file, but midi is not my forte.  Any help walking me through this would be great.  Thanks

What will you be using for your master keyboard?

Also note there is also a very easy way to do this without fussing with MIDI.

Just put the stage settings in the order you want to use them and then use a pedal (I use pedal 2) to forward to the next stage setting. 

OK.. a Kronos. nice! What I would do his head over to the korg forums and post a question there as this is really a question on how to program your Kronos to do the changes... Wish I had a Kronos so I could tell you myself.  :) 

You will want to reference the MIDI chart I linked to above, specifically the band and program changes.

http://korgforums.com/forums-frame.htm

@marcdeban

Once you find out how to send the info from the Kronos to the Ps-5x as Scott has suggested, the idea is pretty straight forward.

You want to send 3 things: Program Bank: MSB-LSB, program change

The program bank you want to send to the Px-5s MSB is 112(decimal)

The LSB is 36(decimal)

The program change will be the stage setting number to change to.  If you wanted the concert grand it would be 0

If you wanted the polysynth it would be 77

The korg needs to send CC#0 as 112 and CC# 32 as 36 then a program change number from 0-99 to change a stage setting on the Px-5s.  That's really all there is to it.

The CC#0 and CC#32 are the MSB and LSB for a bank change.  The bank change is followed by the program change.  Transmit from the korg on channel 1 to keep things simple.  If the korg can send those values, it should work. 

Yes! Choppin! That was it.  MSB 112  LSB 36 and the elusive program Number 0-99 goes in a different screen on the Kronos. It goes where you would put an internal sound in the combi even though you have it set to ext2.

Now that I finally got that working thanks to you and the other members, Is there a way to save a sound that makes no sound.  Then I will save that sound and put it as part of a stage setting and use it when I just want to play sounds from the Kronos and then switch to a different stage setting with a sound attached to it when I want to lay sounds from the PX.

• Like 1

Yes, there is.  In each stage setting, you can control the 4 zones to output MIDI how you want.  That means you could set every stage setting with it's own unique midi if need be.

Choose your stage setting.

Press [Edit]

Stage Settings in the little window press [Enter]

Zone Edit press [Enter]

Press number 6 twice to cursor down then press [Enter] on MIDI edit

If you want, change the midi channel for this zone by cursoring down to External Out Ch.  Use knob 2 or the + and - keys on the top right of the keyboard to change the value

Cursor down until you get to the next page

Generator Out press [-] key to turn off.  This turns off the internal sound for that zone.

You may want to turn off all of the sounds in the stage setting.  For that you have to change zones.  Inside the top right of the little window, you will see a Z1.  You can change it to the other zones (z1-z4) by pressin the + and - keys to the left of the little window.  Change the zone and change the midi settings for those as well.  You can control up to 4 midi channels in the stage setting at once, so you could set a different different channel for each zone.

Once finished press [Write].  If desired, you can change the stage setting number that you will write to displayed in the top right corner of the window by using knob 2.  When happy, press [Enter] and follow the prompts.

I may have misinterpreted your last question.  I was imagining you physically playing the keyboard of the Px-5s and not using the Px-5s sounds but playing the Kronos through midi.  But if the goal is to continue playing the kronos as the master  but "switching" off the Px-5s sound by switching to a new stage setting, I'm not 100% sure it'll work by simply switching the sound generator off - though it should.

Strange, it won't work that way from my sequencer.  To get this to work, I follow the same procedures but, instead of setting the sound generator to off, look for the MIDI volume for that zone.  Set this to 0.  

For some reason, setting the generator or even the zone to off still produces sound for incoming midi from my sequencer.  There is no sound when I physically play the keyboard with the sound generator off.  However, setting the volume to zero solves the problem with the sequencer.

I'm testing it through the USB midi and a sequencer on the computer.  I don't know if the behavior would be different with standard midi between machines - meaning, it might be enough to turn the sound generator off.  In either case, turning the volume to zero should be a no miss!

I turned the generator off and it worked fine.  I guess the MIDI volume would be another option. I am physically playing the PX and playing sounds from the Kronos. Your suggestions worked perfectly.  I set up a stage setting with the generator to off and and zone one to midi channel 11.  Now when I want to play one sound from the kronos on the PX keyboard and another kronos sound on the Kronos itself I can.  This has opened up so more sound possibilities with the 4 zones and layers on the PX and the Kronos and PX's amazing sounds.  Now thanks to your and others help, I have a better handle on how flexable the PX is. Thanks again!