Video Files on Forum ×

PX5 e Android

enzovincenzo

"Live performance editor is iPhone/iPad"

That could be a mistake.  I see at least 10 clients/day.  Two years ago, everyone walked in with an iPhone, iPad or other iOS based device.  Today, that's changed... more and more people are coming in with Android based devices (Samsung Galaxy, for example), both phone and tablet based... its more than 50% at this point.  Personally, I have an iPhone, but if I had to replace it today, I'd be going with an Adroid based phone.  And we have Android based tablets here, just like more and more and more people have.  I wouldn't underestimate the power of Google... and whatever keyboard manufacturer starts making Android based apps first will be light years ahead of the game as far as its competition goes.

And while we're on this topic, Microsoft will start becoming more and more in demand with its Surface tablets running Windows 8. It will take a while for them to get a good chunk of market share, but they're already gaining steam!

IIRC, it was something to do with lack of proper midi support on android devices.

I too would prefer something on android as I intend to never enter the apple eco-system but do plan on finally getting an android phone in the new year.

However I think I remember someone saying the software which the casio app is based off of isn't available on android devices due to low midi support.

Oh well, maybe I will pick up an iphone if I could get an old one at some throw-away price just to stick at the end of the board.

Wondering if an ipod touch work the too? Pretty sure they'd be cheaper still for an older model. They're mentioned in that blog post.

Oh well, maybe I will pick up an iphone if I could get an old one at some throw-away price just to stick at the end of the board.

Wondering if an ipod touch work the too? Pretty sure they'd be cheaper still for an older model. They're mentioned in that blog post.

Yes an iPod touch would work just fine. Getting an iOS device also allows to download a TON of cool synth and other music apps. I have been able to add 100s of new, very useful sounds to my soundsets JUST using free apps. Honestly, these new sounds were worth the cost of iPad (mini $199 Black Friday find!  :) )

• 2 weeks later...

"Live performance editor is iPhone/iPad"

Personally, I have an iPhone, but if I had to replace it today, I'd be going with an Adroid based phone.  And we have Android based tablets here, just like more and more and more people have.  I wouldn't underestimate the power of Google... and whatever keyboard manufacturer starts making Android based apps first will be light years ahead of the game as far as its competition goes.

Possible reasons behind the relatively few Android-based music-creation apps/tools may be the high audio latency with Android and the different versions ("customized" versions across different android devices) of the Android OS which could possibly result to incompatibility issues of the app across different android devices. 

However, these have not prevented companies like SINGLE CELL SOFTWARE to create their CAUSTIC 2 (and the newer CAUSTIC 3) app for Android. Check here: http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

The good news for iPad owners is that CAUSTIC 3 is now available for iOS as well. Check here: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/12/16/caustic-virtual-studio-comes-to-ios/#more-53740

That app (i.e. Caustic) can even import soundfonts (.sf2)...and even has its own tonewheel among others  :) I'm already intrigued how this app could add to or complement the sonic capabilities of the PX-5S (whether used with an Android device or iOS device).

A company like Sonoma Wire Works claim that they have developed a low-latency audio solution for Android to solve the known high-latency issue with Android: http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2013-sonoma-wire-works-announces-android-low-latency-audio-solution-570274

So if we are to look at the request for an Android-based Casio data editor and view it in a different light especially given the installed user-base of Android devices and how the companies enumerated below and those mentioned earlier have developed their own music-creation apps for Android, it may actually benefit quite a number of Casio PX-5s owners (even XW owners as well) who own dual-core powered Android tablets (intel-atom-based or ARM-based) or quad-core equipped smartphones.   

It's worth noting that there are a few more Android-based music-creation apps:

1) Mikrosonic's Music Sketchpad

2) Mikrosonic's RD3-Groovebox

3) Zolotov SunVox

4) Niko Reloop Loop sequencer

5) Niko Electrum Drum machine/sampler

• Like 1